What can I do with 700 ounces of garbanzo beans?

primalclaws1974

Veteran
Local time
12:03 PM
I was given a case of garbanzo bean cans. each can is 128 ounces. I opened one and tasted them. They are pre-cooked and taste similar to a cooked pinto bean. I thought about making ham and cornbread and serving it up that way, but the skin gives it a little bit of odd texture. I also considered making hummus, but I would have to go out and buy a food processor. Do you have any idea what to do with pre-cooked garbanzo beans?

I was given a case of garbanzo bean cans. each can is 128 ounces. I opened one and tasted them. They are pre-cooked and taste similar to a cooked pinto bean. I thought about making ham and cornbread and serving it up that way, but the skin gives it a little bit of odd texture. I also considered making hummus, but I would have to go out and buy a food processor. Do you have any idea what to do with pre-cooked garbanzo beans?
You can make a whole lot of hummus, which is a good dip or a spread for a sandwich. There are also called chickpeas, They're good in curry soups, and they have a lot of protein. Garbanzo beans is a good meat protein replacer. Garbanzo beans are pretty versatile. I like them myself, although I prefer the dry ones.

Just add them to any stew you make our that shepherds pie you mention in another thread. They can be used in any bean substitution. Just look here for chickpea or gram peas which is what else they are known as. I've uploaded plenty of recipes for them.

I don't think you would have to go out and buy a food processer, but it would be a lot of work to mash the beans by hand if you wanted to make hummus. The good news though is that all of the work would be worth the effort in the long run. You can add spices to the beans and make them very tasty. Beans are a great source of protein and they are very inexpensive.

I don't think you would have to go out and buy a food processer, but it would be a lot of work to mash the beans by hand if you wanted to make hummus. The good news though is that all of the work would be worth the effort in the long run. You can add spices to the beans and make them very tasty. Beans are a great source of protein and they are very inexpensive.

I tried to mash them by hand yesterday, and the skins are too big to get them smashed up sufficiently. I have never had hummus, but I have heard good things about it. It's really taking off in America. I looked up a recipe which added lemon juice, garlic, paprika and salt to it. It sounded good. It would be a nice, healthy alternative to dairy dips, that are loaded in fat.

I tried to mash them by hand yesterday, and the skins are too big to get them smashed up sufficiently. I have never had hummus, but I have heard good things about it. It's really taking off in America. I looked up a recipe which added lemon juice, garlic, paprika and salt to it. It sounded good. It would be a nice, healthy alternative to dairy dips, that are loaded in fat.

I think you're supposed to mash them warm which helps the skin to disintegrate.

For hummus, you might need to add some olive oil to get it to a nice consistency and some tahini for a bit more flavour.

I like to make chickpea burgers. I mash them all up and turn them into patties that I then pan fry. I add some herbs and spices and I like to eat them with some sour cream. yummyyy.

I have heard they are the main ingredient in veggie burgers. I have had soy burgers, which I am not certain are 100% vegan, but they weren't too bad. Since I began this thread I ate about 75 ounces of the beans before I finally threw out what was left of the one large can. Last night I opened a new can, and used about 15 ounces in a homemade veggie soup. It had so many other things in it that I didn't want to load it up too much with beans.

If you have that much chickpeas (garbanzo beans), I would definitely make a lot of hummus and just put them in preserve jars.

Hummus is one of my favorite pita bread dips, and as a plus, they're also healthy. They can also be a good sandwich spread if you're into sandwiches.

Put those garbanzo beans into good use!

Hummus is delicious if you've never tried it before. I would say the first time I had it, it kind of reminded of of a cheese spread, in terms of taste and texture. You don't absolutely need to get a food processor to make hummus - a blender will work just fine. The only caveat is that you will probably have to stop and scrape the sides down a few times, and you'll want to reserve some of the canned bean liquid to add back into it, otherwise the beans on their own will be too dry to blend. Also, don't skip the tahini paste, it really does give it a unique creamy and nutty flavor.

Some other uses for chick peas - you can also eat them room temperature or cold. Toss them on a mixed salad with some sliced canned beets, and your other usual toppings. Or make a cold salad with them. Goya's official web site has a recipe for chick peas with fresh spinach, and onions, and a vinaigrette. I've also seen recipes for chick pea and tuna fish salad - a nice change of pace from your usual pasta salad or plain tuna salad.

I also like them as one of the beans in a minestrone soup. Additionally, along the lines of a chick pea burger, they are a main ingredient in Falafel. It's basically a chick pea based fritter that is deep fried until crispy.

Since I made this post I have been making hummus. I don't have a food processor, so I made sure the beans were incredibly hot, and mashed them with a fork. They aren't as finely processed as I would like, but the skins mash up fairly well when extremely hot. I generally use basil and oregano, garlic salt and some form of spice. I added lime a couple times, but I never seem to have that on hand. I eat it with butter crackers or Wheat Thins, and it fills me up as a meal. I only have about a third of the beans left than when I started this thread, and a large portion went to hummus.

Since I made this post I have been making hummus. I don't have a food processor, so I made sure the beans were incredibly hot, and mashed them with a fork. They aren't as finely processed as I would like, but the skins mash up fairly well when extremely hot. I generally use basil and oregano, garlic salt and some form of spice. I added lime a couple times, but I never seem to have that on hand. I eat it with butter crackers or Wheat Thins, and it fills me up as a meal. I only have about a third of the beans left than when I started this thread, and a large portion went to hummus.
Do you not add tahini to the mix? I have only ever made hummus with tahini in it (plus some lemon juice, fresh garlic, salt and some ground cumin, ground noble paprika and olive oil).

Garbanzo beans can be used to make mock tuna. Add chopped green onions, carrots, celery and pickles to smashed garbanzo beans. If you're wanting a vegan dish, you can use vegan mayonnaise. I use a spicy hummus. I add salt, pepper, garlic powder, cumin to taste. To give the mixture a fish taste, add fish seasoning. Without the fish seasoning, it makes a great smashed bean salad.

Do you not add tahini to the mix? I have only ever made hummus with tahini in it (plus some lemon juice, fresh garlic, salt and some ground cumin, ground noble paprika and olive oil).

I've made it a few times without tahini. I wouldn't really call it hummus, but it works OK.

Garbanzo beans can be used to make mock tuna. Add chopped green onions, carrots, celery and pickles to smashed garbanzo beans. If you're wanting a vegan dish, you can use vegan mayonnaise. I use a spicy hummus. I add salt, pepper, garlic powder, cumin to taste. To give the mixture a fish taste, add fish seasoning. Without the fish seasoning, it makes a great smashed bean salad.

I love regular tuna, and it is inexpensive. Under normal circumstances, the fish would be cheaper than the beans. But since I do have an excess at the moment (under 128 ounces now, but still a lot), I am curious what this would taste like. I have to heat the beans to get them to mash properly, but I can't imagine anything warm being a real substitution for tuna. Do I let it cool in the fridge before I eat it? I don't think mayo and garbanzos would be very good together, but I am willing to roll the dice at least once.

Back
Top Bottom