What can you use instead of Alcohol?

pinkcherrychef

Local time
6:31 PM
Because of religious reasons I never touch alcohol. So cooking with it is a big no no. I see some recipes that I really would like to make, but some ask for white wine,red wine, burban,beer etc. I don't want to cut out flavor so I'm looking for substitutes to use instead. Do any of you have a good substitutes?

Its going to depend on the recipe really - you could use alcohol free wine to substitute wine or apple juice to substitute cider. But in truth, you won't get the beautiful depth and complexity of flavour which cooking with alcohol produces.

Like MG said, there are certain flavours that cannot be achieved without alcohol, but not many.

Besides the taste of the alcohol itself, be it wine, beer, or a spirit, there are chemical compunds in certain foods that are only soluble in alcohol, or in other words, they don't taste the same without the alcohol.

Nonetheless, as much as everyone tries so hard to do everything possible to create wonderful dishes, most flavours in this concern can be attained by the use of vinegars, proper cooking techniques, and alcohol free cooking "wines".

Its going to depend on the recipe really - you could use alcohol free wine to substitute wine or apple juice to substitute cider. But in truth, you won't get the beautiful depth and complexity of flavour which cooking with alcohol produces.
Yep I know but I can get close. Thank you.

Like MG said, there are certain flavours that cannot be achieved without alcohol, but not many.

Besides the taste of the alcohol itself, be it wine, beer, or a spirit, there are chemical compunds in certain foods that are only soluble in alcohol, or in other words, they don't taste the same without the alcohol.

Nonetheless, as much as everyone tries so hard to do everything possible to create wonderful dishes, most flavours in this concern can be attained by the use of vinegars, proper cooking techniques, and alcohol free cooking "wines".
I know this but I still can get close to the flavor even if it is just a little bit. Thanks for the advice.

Chicken broth and lemon juice might do the trick as a substitute for white wine. See what you think.

Back
Top Bottom