What did you cook/eat today (March 2018)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hen of the woods mushrooms, shallots, corn, fresh thyme, and gnocchi (homemade) in a pasta water, browned butter and parm sauce. Not the prettiest dish, but sure tastes good.

Vegetarian! I like this but I wouldn't put corn in - I'm not a great fan of corn at the best of times but I would want the earthy mushrooms and thyme to be the stars. I love that you do home-made gnocchi. D'you know I've never made it, ever! :oops: I have seen it made so many times on TV and it looks easy - yet I feel there is probably a secret to getting it light and delicate.

Would it help if I reminded you that here in Leicester we are in Melton Mobray Pork Pie snd Stilton country.

No!

mm picallili.jpg

About 4 years ago (from M & S, Hong Kong).

Vegetarian! I like this but I wouldn't put corn in - I'm not a great fan of corn at the best of times but I would want the earthy mushrooms and thyme to be the stars. I love that you do home-made gnocchi. D'you know I've never made it, ever! :oops: I have seen it made so many times on TV and it looks easy - yet I feel there is probably a secret to getting it light and delicate.

The corn added a bit of sweetness, but I'm sure it would be fine without it.

Gnocchi really aren't that hard. It took me about 30-40 minutes to mix up the dough, roll them out and shape them after the potatoes were baked. I wrote a tutorial on a couple of other sites and can copy and paste here if you want. I also accidentally discovered another tip one of the last times I made them and tonight proved the accident so I going to have to add that to my tutorial.

Last edited:
The corn added a bit of sweetness, but I'm sure it would be fine without it.

Gnocchi really aren't that hard. It took me about 30-40 minutes to mix up the dough, roll them out and shape them after the potatoes were baked. I wrote a tutorial on a couple of other sites and can copy and paste here if you want. I also accidentally discovered another tip one of the last times I made them and tonight proved the accident so I going to have to add that to my tutorial.

Oh please do post you tutorial. I intend to make gnocchi - turns out my son really likes it - I only found this out because he bought some whilst I was away recently and there was some left in the fridge. As it is vegan its something I can do for everyone as a main meal.

The corn afdrd a nit of sweetness, but I'm sure it would be fine without it.

Gnocchi really aren't that hatd. It took me about 30-40 minutes to kix up the dough
Oh please do post you tutorial. I intend to make gnocchi - turns out my son really likes it - I only found this out because he bought some whilst I was away recently and there was some left in the fridge. As it is vegan its something I can do for everyone as a main meal.

I use egg in my gnocchi.

Watched David Rocco in India the other day..he ate this at a street vendor;
so..had to try it.. a late nite "chole bhature" (took all day for the dough to "ferment")
Did stuffed style and plain..the stuffed were definitely tastier.
Made Trinidad "doubles" a few weeks ago..they must have the same background..fried bread served with chick peas
I think the chole bhature is MUCH better though.
Tear the bread apart & pick up the chick peas with the bread.
Excuse the presentation ..again, late nite buffet style feeding ;-)

chole bature.jpg

The last of the chicken kebabs (approaching their "sell-by-date") with roasties and some grass.

kebabs with roasties 3 s.jpg

Watched David Rocco in India the other day..he ate this at a street vendor;
so..had to try it.. a late nite "chole bhature" (took all day for the dough to "ferment")
Did stuffed style and plain..the stuffed were definitely tastier.
Made Trinidad "doubles" a few weeks ago..they must have the same background..fried bread served with chick peas
I think the chole bhature is MUCH better though.
Tear the bread apart & pick up the chick peas with the bread.
Excuse the presentation ..again, late nite buffet style feeding ;-)

View attachment 14901

The chole bhature look fantastic! I've not come across this term before although I know quite a lot about Indian food - they look like puri. The chickpeas also look delicious. Is it a vegan meal?

[QUOTE="morning glory, post: 115112, member: 1122".....home-made gnocchi. D'you know I've never made it, ever! :oops: [/QUOTE]
Why not? :D It's gorgeous, and quite easy to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom