What did you cook or eat today (August 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it so happens that I know why, having looked it up. "It is named after the town of Barnsley, which is located in Yorkshire in the North of England."

CD
Well yes, my niece lives in Barnsley, though why it is associated with that particularly ordinary town I don't know :happy:

We arrived in Athens earlier today, slept off the jet lag, and are now out enjoying this. It’s so hot here, but not so bad after dark and a few drinks.

View attachment 68768
View attachment 68769
View attachment 68770
View attachment 68766

View attachment 68767
Good to see you on the Mythos and souvlaki :okay:. Athens has it bad at the moment with the bush fires, hope it doesn't spoil your stay.
I printed off our boarding cards for our trip to Corfu in a few weeks, so looking forward to getting in a pool with a cocktail at hand.

Well yes, my niece lives in Barnsley, though why it is associated with that particularly ordinary town I don't know :happy:

For what its worth:

FOOD FACTS
History suggests that the Barnsley chop was so called in the mid-19th century. The story goes that farmers at Barnsley market enjoyed a midday meal at the Kings Head Hotel, where these large (almost the size of a small joint) chops were on the menu. The Barnsley chop is said to have been named by a stranger who asked for, “a big chop, a real chop. You know, a Barnsley chop”.
In the butchery trade, Barnsley chop has come to mean a chop around 2cm or one bone thick, cut across the whole loin in a butterfly shape.
Historical facts provided by Monica Askay, Cook and Food Historian
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/tv/hairybikers/bestofbritish/pub_grub.pdf

Today's meal was a layered salad, - Canadian bacon, cheddar cheese and tofu.

full.jpg

The ingredients start with spinach and include celery, cucumber, onion, tomato, Anaheim pepper, Canadian bacon, cheddar cheese, tofu and thousand island dressing sprinkled with basil.

Sounds like a nice meal out. What a good idea!
I was listening to a podcast, among other things, talk went around wagyu beef, which I the googled, and was surprised to learn about.
Apparently there are Us and Australian sorts but the original is Japanese and very expensive.
One of the restaurants mentioned was Pappas...steakhouse ? In Dallas, Tx as far as I gather, but possibly in other cities too...
Have you had that beef? If yes, how was it?

We've gotten Wagyu ground beef in the past and honestly didn't notice much difference in it and the beef we grind at home.

A couple of years ago we got some Wagyu rib eyes for my birthday if I remember correctly. They were very good steaks well marbled, tender and tasty. Were they worth the almost 3x price over a good quality regular rib eye? Maybe for an occasion, but certainly not for a regular meal.

Last edited:

PALESTINIAN UPSIDE-DOWN CHICKEN AND RICE (MAQLUBEH) from Milk Street.​

I'm not a fan of Chris Kimball at all but Craig was channel surfing and stopped on this. It looked good so decided to try. It's on the stove now and if it tastes as good as it smells we'll be happy campers.

We arrived in Athens earlier today, slept off the jet lag, and are now out enjoying this. It’s so hot here, but not so bad after dark and a few drinks.

View attachment 68768
View attachment 68769
View attachment 68770
View attachment 68766

View attachment 68767
My best friend who is like a brother lives in Athens. We used to visit once or twice a year before Covid.He is a very good cook. My wife speaks good Greek, mine is skata. Niko is the one wearing the American Captains hat.The best snot blocks/ millefeuille in the world are here تسجيل الدخول إلى فيسبوك

padeswood038.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom