What did you cook or eat today (February 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found somewhere that does some half decent lump crab

The crab cakes look lovely. I've been using this brand of crabmeat recently - its 'fresh' but has a possibly worryingly long sell by date.

LIFE 1m+Ocean Finest Crab Claw Meat 114g 114g £4 £3.51 per 100g

1614092320491.png

Good photo - is it yours? And who are you courting? :)

Yes, my pic. I'm trying to up my game a bit on photographs, unfortunately I'm not at all artistic.

It may not be immediately obvious but I draped one of our Christmas (you can see reindeer if you look) table cloths 'artistically' over the mixing bowl to create a backdrop.

Unfortunately the cake looked better than it turned out. At the last moment I read the recipe properly and it said 'drop mixture evenly into three 7" sandwich tins.' Unfortunately I'd already got out a 7" deep cake tin and I thought "oh ******** I'll just use that and slice it with my cake slicer thing" The cake turned out rather dense, not sure if it was me knocking the air out of the mix or not following the recipe properly.

"And who are you courting?"

You, of course. :D

Not sure why it's called a Courting Cake, I'll have to look it up.

Got the recipe from Top 100 Cakes and Biscuits, from Safeway.

The green is very pretty indeed. I never thought to use pea sprouts puréed. Did you purée them raw?
Yes, they were raw - so no cooking (except the quick warming up). This was the first time I tried that - and the end result was delicious; quite similar to mushing ripe, fresh peas. I had Jerusalem artichokes, shallots etc. ready but I was too lazy to cook for a longer period of time. Maybe tomorrow. There's still sparkling wine left for another soup.

Yes, they were raw - so no cooking (except the quick warming up). This was the first time I tried that - and the end result was delicious; quite similar to mushing ripe, fresh peas. I had Jerusalem artichokes, shallots etc. ready but I was too lazy to cook for a longer period of time. Maybe tomorrow. There's still sparkling wine left for another soup.

Yep - I saw you had posted the recipe. Do you get pea sprouts easily in the supermarket in Finland? I can get them these days but its a relatively new thing. I also grow my own sometimes on the window sill.

Yep - I saw you had posted the recipe. Do you get pea sprouts easily in the supermarket in Finland? I can get them these days but its a relatively new thing. I also grow my own sometimes on the window sill.
They're readily available both in small pots and plastic boxes (ready cut) in almost any larger grocery store in Finland. The ones I used for today's soup were ready cut and packed; I kept them in the fridge for more than a week but they smelled and looked fresh and crispy. I don't bother to grow pea sprouts on the window sill (or germinate them on top of moist kitchen paper) in colder months as they're not that expensive (the sweet peas for self-sprouting may cost as much). In the summer it's easy to cut some pea sprouts for e.g. salads straight from the vegetable garden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom