What did you cook or eat today (June 2018)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pork chops marinated in preserved lemons, cilantro, garlic, olive oil, then grilled. Sides were cilantro, garlic, lime rice, and a fennel and orange salad with a vinaigrette made with orange juice, white wine vinegar, honey, dijon and olive oil. All the dishes were adaptations of recipes in the Feasts Persian cookbook to make use of things in the house.

2018-06-13 18.13.33.jpg

On Skye yesterday I had:
Local smoked haddock and poached egg.
Shared a seafood platter with my dad: crab meat, lobster claw, scallops, hot smoked salmon, smoked mackerel, roll mops, oysters and langoustine. And brown bread.
Scallops and monk fish for dinner.
The scallops and langoustine were amazing.

Have you had an Arbroath smokie? I bought 2 on my way to Inverness, yummy.

Russ

Left over hot and sour potatoes with horseshoe gammon and chicken eggs (we shall have duck eggs again tomorrow - thank the Lord. Those chicken eggs are pathetic).

os 1 s.jpg

Oh, man, that looks good.

The great things is the sheer simplicity of making it. I will write it up as a recipe with a better photo just so I don't forget about it - but basically its a fennel bulb finely sliced (or diced) gently fried in a olive oil then topped up with white wine and allow to stew until tender, add chopped parsley, finely chopped de-seeded Scotch Bonnet and the mussels. Simmer a few mins until the mussels open. Serve with crusty bread to dunk.

There was more cooking on Tuesday. I had a hankering for a slow roasted shoulder of lamb. I read a few cookbooks by favoured chefs then did my own thing once I settled on middle eastern flavours.
I used loads of garlic, sumac, cumin & pomegranate molasses. Touches of smoked paprika.
79943F07-C769-4583-A013-A5A89B4C39EA.jpeg

C8E9B879-46A4-415C-8306-A4505FBC2A9C.jpeg

Served with warm houmous & I skimmed the fat from the onion & herb pan juices and reduced it to a rich jus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom