What did you cook or eat today (June 2018)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you spell souffle? Hubby tried making one for tea. It didn't work. It was more like an omelette with large lumps of overcooked broccoli and cauliflower in it. It was edible but definitely not a "thing I can't spell".
Soufflé - I think I accidentally added an extra e to the plural in the Cookalong title. I will correct.

How do you spell souffle? Hubby tried making one for tea. It didn't work. It was more like an omelette with large lumps of overcooked broccoli and cauliflower in it. It was edible but definitely not a "thing I can't spell".

You can't really put large lumps of anything in a souffle. The egg whites don't have enough oomph to rise with large lumps of things. Even adding a puree, like I did with the corn and @morning glory did with the parsnips keeps it from rising as much because of the weight. Even cheese as well. The best rise you are going to get is just a liquid flavored souffle.

Did he beat the egg whites separately and GENTLY fold (not stir) them in after using 1/4 to a 1/3 to lighten his batter? You should still have some small streaks of white in the souffle mixture after folding in the egg whites. If it's a totally homogenized mixture, it was over-folded. Also, did he serve it immediately after removing it from the oven? There's a saying of something like "Souffles wait for no one" because they start to fall almost immediately after removing from the oven.

Lunch today

Giant bean stew, grilled mackerel and salad

20180603_143731(0).jpg

Asparagus with sauteed potatoes.jpg

Tonight's dinner was quite simple - lightly sautéed potatoes and onions, with steamed carrots and asparagus, and cherry tomatoes, seasoned only with black pepper and the butter from the sautéing. Afters was a big, juicy apple.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last night was leg of lamb and roast chicken for the grandkids. Adults had the roast lamb. Roasted potatoes carrots parsnip pumpkin and kumara. Boiled butter beans and peas. Baked cauli and broccoli cheese . Microwave puds for dessert. What was real good was carrots,parsnips,beans,peas,broccoli and cauli all from our garden. Cauli and broccoli picked fresh yesterday and the rest frozen from last summer. Kids loved their meals, empty plates.
Tonight something light.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom