What did you cook or eat today (October 2022)?

Still trying to get my pizza recipe right.
View attachment 91102
My smoke alarms hate when I make pizza, they went off 4 times during the process and nothing was "burning" except when I pee.
I think I nailed it this time. This is a dough that fermented overnight and I put everything bagel seasoning on the crust before baking with whole milk mozzarella. This was the best pizza I've ever made so far.

I think I nailed it this time. This is a dough that fermented overnight and I put everything bagel seasoning on the crust before baking with whole milk mozzarella. This was the best pizza I've ever made so far.

It looks good and I love the puffy crust.I really dislike thin pizzas where the filling reaches the edges.

It looks good and I love the puffy crust.I really dislike thin pizzas where the filling reaches the edges.
It's a pain in the ass getting it off the peel, even when I put down flour or cornmeal, I have to shake it and it moves all the toppings and the shape of the dough.

It's a pain in the ass getting it off the peel, even when I put down flour or cornmeal, I have to shake it and it moves all the toppings and the shape of the dough.
What I do now is shape the dough on parchment paper, put the paper and all on the peel, and launch it onto the stone from that. After a few minutes on the stone, I reach back in there and give the paper a quick tug, like when a magician pulls the tablecloth off a fully-set table and leaves all the dishes in place.

The only bit to be careful about...that parchment paper is slick, and I've been in a hurry and let one fly right off the peel and onto the kitchen floor while on the way to the oven, and just the other day, I was in a hurry and launched it a little too aggressively, and it overshot the stone and slammed into the back of the oven and down onto the oven floor.

What I do now is shape the dough on parchment paper, put the paper and all on the peel, and launch it onto the stone from that. After a few minutes on the stone, I reach back in there and give the paper a quick tug, like when a magician pulls the tablecloth off a fully-set table and leaves all the dishes in place.

The only bit to be careful about...that parchment paper is slick, and I've been in a hurry and let one fly right off the peel and onto the kitchen floor while on the way to the oven, and just the other day, I was in a hurry and launched it a little too aggressively, and it overshot the stone and slammed into the back of the oven and down onto the oven floor.

After a lot of failed launches, messing about with semolina, adding more flour (resulting in a very floury-tasting base) now I do something similar to you, but I use aluminium foil. I roll out my dough into a circle, then lift it onto the foil before adding the toppings before sliding the peel underneath. This then goes into my oven onto a Baking Steel pizza steel thing. The foil stays in there and because of its thinness I didn't detect any difference between this way and directly on the steel; works for me. Also makes cleaning easier.

After a lot of failed launches, messing about with semolina, adding more flour (resulting in a very floury-tasting base) now I do something similar to you, but I use aluminium foil. I roll out my dough into a circle, then lift it onto the foil before adding the toppings before sliding the peel underneath. This then goes into my oven onto a Baking Steel pizza steel thing. The foil stays in there and because of its thinness I didn't detect any difference between this way and directly on the steel; works for me. Also makes cleaning easier.

I like this idea, A clever approach.

For me, I roll out my pizza dough on a lightly floured board (my granite counter top), flip it over on to a wooden Pizza Peel that has been sprinkled lightly with cornmeal or semolina if I have any, before topping the crust with sauce, I shake it a bit to ensure that it has not stuck to the peel, spoon on the appropriate amount of sauce, and then shack again; carefully slide the crust onto a pre-heated Pizza Stone on the bottom rack of my Gas Oven set at its highest (550°F) cook for 2-3 minutes, carefully place any other toppings such as cheese, etc. and cook for another 2-3 minutes - DONE!
IMG_6523.JPG

IMG_6525.JPG

DH prefers a thick crust.

Back
Top Bottom