What did you cook today Feb 2016?

Status
Not open for further replies.

swalia

Veteran
Local time
9:57 AM
Mod Edit: Each Month, we will start a new thread called "What did you cook today?"
It is for you write up what you have eaten on that day. As simple as that. The thread is simply to show what you have cooked and eaten because it varies so much from person to person and from country to country. Feel free to cover any meal or snack that you have eaten.

It is not for the recipe, that can be written up separately if you want to (which would be great) and if you have a picture/photo, not matter what the quality, of your plate of food, that would be fantastic.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today I cooked idli sambhar for lunch. Idli sambhar is a South Indian recipe which is quite popular.

I have some pork baking in the oven as I type. I will be having it with some left over rice from yesterday. I'll whip a quick fresh salad and have that for lunch.

Today I cooked idli sambhar for lunch. Idli sambhar is a South Indian recipe which is quite popular.

You have to stop doing this @swalia ! You keep posting things that sound intriguing and I know would be delicious without really telling us what they are! Idli Sambhar? Bring it on! Tell us what it is...

Well. Ok I googled it. Does it look like this?:

Idli_Sambar.JPG

I want to know how to make the Sambhar. Oh yes!

You have to stop doing this @swalia ! You keep posting things that sound intriguing and I know would be delicious without really telling us what they are! Idli Sambhar? Bring it on! Tell us what it is...

Well. Ok I googled it. Does it look like this?:

View attachment 2300

I want to know how to make the Sambhar. Oh yes!

Hahaha! Yes, it looks like this. Idlis are made from rice flour. They are steamed and thus quite healthy. Sambhar is made from Arhar or Toor pulse. It's a popular dish from South India.

I made a delicious pot of baked potato soup. I also baked a large skillet of sweet cornbread to go with it. It is perfect for cold winter days and my family loves it. Best of all, I made enough to last for a couple days so all we have to do is heat it up and eat it up until it's gone!

I found this great recipe for asian noodles made it last night. I used odon noodles and on top I stir fried ground pork to the ground pork I added minced garlic, ginger, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar. I made a sauce of peanut butter, soy sauce, sesame oil, oyster sauce and chicken broth which I added to the cooked pork. I topped the noodles with the meat and sauce and served it with bean sprouts, cilantro and chopped green onions on top. It was so flavourful.

That sounds delicious, purplepen88! I absolutely love Asian food! I sometimes fix stir fry myself, but I am sure mine is not nearly as scrumptious as yours. I don't know enough about which Asian spices and flavors to combine. So sadly my stir fry is often white rice topped with beef strips, stir fry veggies, soy sauce and garlic.

Its after breakfast here and I am enjoying a green tea. This morning I decided to use up my overripe bananas. I made a banana pancake with it. Alongside it I cooked some frozen strawberries in simple syrup to make some strawberry pancake syrup. This is definitely going into my breakfast meal planner! Great thing about it? The pancakes have four ingredients. Bananas, eggs, oats and flaxseed powder. Healthy AND delicious!

Tonight I am trying out a new marinade. It only has 4 ingredients. Soy sauce, oil, brown sugar and vinegar. I've marinade chicken breasts overnight in a baggies with this marinade. When I get home I'm going to throw them on the grill or bake, can't decide yet. I'll serve the chicken with rice, green beans and a salad. I tasted the marinade and for only 4 ingredients it has a nice depth of flavour. I'm looking forward to trying this chicken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom