What Did You Really Want For Christmas?

OT: The best presents were a pair of woollen handmade socks and a pizza slicer
Hardly off-topic!

(not off-topic (explanation) because you're in the off-topic part of the forum, The Cafe and the thread Is for presents wanted for Christmas, not cooking presents wanted for Christmas, in which case, it would've been in the wrong part of the forum!).

(Currently wearing them!)
These are my latest completed pair. I have another set on my needles at present.

Last edited:
It goes without saying, the above so I'll not add to it.

you and me both....

I had looked at upgrading my Canon Powershot G7X mk ii but the newer models have not changed enough to warrant an upgrade unless I double the cost of the camera. Even the camera shop said not to bother! I did briefly look at the Sony Cybershot Series but again I'd need to double the cost... So I'll wait another year. I have both that and my EOS 5D mk iii to fall back to along with 2 pro series lenses, and custom hand-made Lee filters (various soft and hard graduated ND filters and polarising filters), no to mention the ones that the Powershot G7X Mk ii replaced (including G7X, G9X & G11) so I'm not exactly short on choice!

I've been taking all my CookingBites photos with a Canon Powershot SX100 IS. This is a very old Powershot with only 10.2Mb. 10.2Mb is plenty fine for Web JPEGs. So the old Powershot works fine and I am not afraid to get food stuff on it. I don't shoot studio for the food photos either. At best, I set up a cheat studio with one reflected Buff mono-light off a distance from the goo and other mess spatters that cooking produces. The old Powershot works out OK, but nothing startlingly exemplary. I've used some strange substitutes for backdrops, like the photos with the black backgrounds. Those are not studio black backdrop paper photos. You'd laugh to know the truth of what I improvised.

I have several other cameras, including a Canon EOS 5D Mk II, a Canon EOS 1Dx Mk II, a Canon EOS 3 and an old Minolta XE-7. I also have a GoPro 6 and of course, my cell phone cameras. I have tons of lenses and other things too numerous to list.

I would like the R5, but now I am hearing about the R5S coming next year for about the same price.

I agree. Whilst my natural inclination is to left wing politics, I can't accept such a loss of freedom. For anyone who isn't aware, here is a brief overview:

North Korea: Everything you need to know about the country - CBBC Newsround
BBC is part of the global media mafia that work for political purposes. Their "reports" are conveniently based on "sources" that work for their opinion.
NK does not kill or torture anyone for watching foreign news, nor are they oppressed particularly by the government as this article says. But they suffer due to lack of basic facilities, and in such a society corruption and competition exist. If they get the sanctions lifted they will be another normal society but the West does not want that to happen especially as they are friends of the West's political rivals Russia and China.
I am not a fan of any country but powerful countries play their political games and innocent people suffer.
The article tries to emphasize the rule of one family but they forget that the most lawless country in the world is governed by just one single family, and without a written constitution. But they do not get articles written about their zero human rights because they are friends of the West.
I want to see the West progress, and integrated in to a peaceful society where competition is not suppressed by blatant lies using the media mafia, and sanctions that cripple societies, but handled with justice.
But I don't think that that day will ever arrive.

I am, have been and always will be a moderate. I am to that extent, an independent voter. I believe strongly in diversity of peoples as a virtue, not something to be feared in light of cultural, ethnic and racial differences. I have a modified Darwinistic viewpoint, modified by the reality that human beings adapt to each others presence and can do so in positive ways while supporting each others failings.

Political leadership in the world is rarely the tenure of moderation, but of serving the cliche, the identity group and most especially, the notion of an upper class group who hold power, viewing those not in that group as inferior and ignorant, stupid and nuisances, good only for servitude. This has been far too often the roots of wars and unrest in the world. And make no mistake, I have been a soldier and will defend the best chance I see for a moderate world, working democracy. Yet I have no intent or desire to force that on anybody. It is a form of government that has a basis in choice, not submission.

My best Christmas wish would be for the increasing reality of a more moderate world.
For many reasons Josip Bros is a hero of mine. An exemplar of that period. My FIL was a Croatian(atheist) officer in the Yugoslav Navy(submarines), my MIL was a Serbian Orthodox Christian. His "best man" was a Bosnian Muslim. I was a Soldier who was involved and injured in a very bloody war. I fought for my survival and that of the people of Israel. I do not regret doing it but I do regret what it created. Tito would have made a perfect President of America. Compare this great man to Trump, Blair, Bush and Johnson all the children of Democracy.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPGFREt8RnE&ab_channel=AtaBurakGungordu

I've been taking all my CookingBites photos with a Canon Powershot SX100 IS. This is a very old Powershot with only 10.2Mb. 10.2Mb is plenty fine for Web JPEGs. So the old Powershot works fine and I am not afraid to get food stuff on it. I don't shoot studio for the food photos either. At best, I set up a cheat studio with one reflected Buff mono-light off a distance from the goo and other mess spatters that cooking produces. The old Powershot works out OK, but nothing startlingly exemplary. I've used some strange substitutes for backdrops, like the photos with the black backgrounds. Those are not studio black backdrop paper photos. You'd laugh to know the truth of what I improvised.

I have several other cameras, including a Canon EOS 5D Mk II, a Canon EOS 1Dx Mk II, a Canon EOS 3 and an old Minolta XE-7. I also have a GoPro 6 and of course, my cell phone cameras. I have tons of lenses and other things too numerous to list.

I would like the R5, but now I am hearing about the R5S coming next year for about the same price.
I wouldnt laugh at all.
I have been known to stand in a loch before now approaching near darkness taking 5-10 min long exposure shots in the middle of winter.
I've driven 800km or more to camp wild in -15C to take photos of foggy lochs, Climb mountains in near darkness to take that favourite sunset of mine only to see cloud or to camp overnight wild on the tops, to end up in a blizzard the next morning . Vaseline is One of my tools, washing up liquid another! I've needed crampons and ice-axes to get to my destination, only for the camera never to came out. Such is landscape photography - my favourite field.

What would I like? Phew, some list.

Access to clean water for everyone in the world...oh, and free education and healthcare to go with it.
A farewell to so-called populist nationalist leaders.
A few leaders to acknowledge the fact that we are destroying the planet (and maybe taking some real action to do something about it rather than mumbling empty platitudes).

Thank kind of thing. Not much to ask.

I wouldnt laugh at all.

My black backdrop shots were done my draping the underside of a Tether Tools Table Mat over three 42 Oz. Oat Containers and securing it in place with a can of Chopped Clams. Then I set a white paper plate at the bottom and setup the food objects on that. Afterwards, I use Affinity Photo to adjust things and make the background totally black by increasing Shadows. Sometimes, a photographer has to make due with the unusual in a sticky food environment.

Back
Top Bottom