What do like to do when you're not obsessing about food and cooking?

ChowDownBob

Supersize Me!
Local time
6:57 PM
For me, in between ferrying the daughter around like a personal taxi driver and doing my share of the chores at home, I like combat computer games, listening to music, talking walks (and occasionally cycling), chatting with people online, and (when money allows) enjoying a restaurant meal / dining out.

How about the rest of you?

Until recently I used to do a lot of mountaineering and photography, particularly in the winter and especially camping in really cold weather, but a leg injury 3 years ago has sadly put on hold my hiking and mountaineering.

I also had a huge garden and grew most of my own veg and fruit, but sadly no longer and allotments where we live are impossible to get hold of.

I love cycling and staying fit, walking and dog sitting (great because after a few days or weeks you get to hand them back and remember why you don't have any rather like children!) Plus we used to do the occasional house sitting and will be again before the end of the month.

Otherwise I love the outdoor, lived in a tent for a year whilst trying to cycle around the world and for some daft reason, I always seem to live as remotely as finances will afford! I just love being outdoors.

Because I love food so much, I have started running so that I can continue to eat what I want! I'm not that good at it, but I figure at least I'm out there being active, right? Besides that, most of my time is taken up with kids and kid-related activities, keeping the house in order, studying and trying to finish up my degree, and every once in awhile I get a spare moment to enjoy a good book that wasn't a reading assignment! Cooking and baking is really one of those things that I absolutely love to do, and it "soothes my brain" so to speak. My husband can always tell when I start to get really stressed because the baked goods start flying out of the kitchen. It's a stress reliever, what can I say?

I enjoy writing and reading about food. I joined an Italian forum recently and have ended up with some great discussions on Italian food there and how the rest of the world perceives Italian food. I'm also compiling my own recipe book and a a blog for it, well I have got as far as the name! I also like to review books and films for pleasure an dmaybe that will lead to other things...

If I'm not obsessing about food and cooking I'm obsessing over wine!

I'm just kidding, because I don't really obsess over anything, but wine, food, and gardening all go hand in hand much of the time, and I am addicted to my plants. It feels like an obsession at times, especially when I have to make myself not buy something new for my garden. (Clearance plants are the hardest!)

If I'm not obsessing about food and cooking I'm obsessing over wine!

I'm just kidding, because I don't really obsess over anything, but wine, food, and gardening all go hand in hand much of the time, and I am addicted to my plants. It feels like an obsession at times, especially when I have to make myself not buy something new for my garden. (Clearance plants are the hardest!)

Whatever you do ... don't click this link ... :laugh:

Whatever you do ... don't click this link ... :laugh:

Okay, I won't! Especially since I hovered over it and didn't see an address pop up. I am wary of that sort of thing as I'm not fond of the idea of getting a virus on my computer or having an unwanted visit to some weird web site that I don't want to see. There's a lot of that going around, you know...

Okay, I won't! Especially since I hovered over it and didn't see an address pop up. I am wary of that sort of thing as I'm not fond of the idea of getting a virus on my computer or having an unwanted visit to some weird web site that I don't want to see. There's a lot of that going around, you know...
It just takes you to the gardencafe which can be found in the links at the top of the page where is says cycle, SciTech, pets... Perfectly safe. :D

It just takes you to the gardencafe which can be found in the links at the top of the page where is says cycle, SciTech, pets... Perfectly safe. :D

Okay, but now I'm confused. It goes to a different part of this site? What did responding to me with that link have to do with the discussion that was taking place? Or is it a link to discussions about gardening? Because I really don't need anything else to feed my obsessions, lol.

Okay, but now I'm confused. It goes to a different part of this site? What did responding to me with that link have to do with the discussion that was taking place? Or is it a link to discussions about gardening? Because I really don't need anything else to feed my obsessions, lol.
no, the site owner runs more than one website forum group. it is one of the other sites that he owns/runs. That's all. It's why it is in the same format/style just a different colour and name. I'm also a member of the cycling and photo sites as well which I participate in (and also a moderator/staff member on those sites as well - hence why I know :wink: )

You mentioned that you liked gardening, so @ChowDownBob put in the link to the garden forum for you to look at, that was all.

I should add that @ChowDownBob being another moderator/staff member would also be aware of this.

Last edited:
@ChanellG ... I thought the laughing smiley (and your mention of loving gardening) would give away the joke ... :)

no, the site owner runs more than one website forum group... I'm also a member of the cycling and photo sites as well which I participate in...
You mentioned that you liked gardening, so @ChowDownBob put in the link to the garden forum for you to look at, that was all.

LOL, I am definitely not clicking it now, I already belong to a garden forum where I am very active and have been for a few years now. I joined one other that a friend suggested, but I almost never post to it because I don't have the time. Too busy in my actual garden (and bookmarking garden stuff on Pinterest).

@ChanellG ... I thought the laughing smiley (and your mention of loving gardening) would give away the joke ... :)

Why would it? A smiley could mean anything. There was no context.

When I am not in the kitchen cooking, scouring through my cookbooks, or looking for recipes online, I like to be outdoors enjoying nature. I grew up camping and fishing and those are my 2 favorite things in the world to do. We have not had much of a chance to camp the last couple of years because of our darn jobs, but this summer is going to be much different. I also love to read books and work on quilts.

I used to enjoy running but after 3 injuries in a row I had to finally pack it up and quit. No other exercise gives me the same rush so I've found nothing to replace it. So now I really enjoy shopping :p:. I know that sounds horrible but I'm like one of those bargain hunting people so I really spend only a fraction of money in comparison to the amount time. I am relatively new at being the SAHM and have moved to a new climate recently, so I have 4 seasons of cute casual wear to catch up on.
Otherwise in the summer we all love to play tennis together. Then all year long we like to travel whenever possible on the weekends and check out new sights. Plus the children love to stay in hotels, and I don't have to cook those nights!

Shopping is one of my favorite past times as well and I too am a fellow bargain hunter. It is not so much buying things that makes me happy, it is getting out and exploring for new things. Sometimes I find what I am looking for and other times I leave empty handed. It gets me out of the house and that is the most important thing. I would like to start doing a little light traveling again. We have not done much of it in the last couple of years due to lack of funds.

Back
Top Bottom