What do you do with your grill pan?

vernplum

Veteran
Local time
4:24 AM
I've had one of these Scanpan grill pans for quite a few years, but seldom use it. It cost a lot so I'm looking for things to do with it. I don't use it for steaks because it hasn't got enough surface area to make enough sear (I just use a flat Stainless Steel pan for that). Also, it's a bit of a bugger to clean because you can't scour it or you'll lose the non-stick, but as it turns out it isn't very non-stick at all!

Anyone got one and use it regularly?

1662518898171.png

I've had one of these Scanpan grill pans for quite a few years, but seldom use it. It cost a lot so I'm looking for things to do with it. I don't use it for steaks because it hasn't got enough surface area to make enough sear (I just use a flat Stainless Steel pan for that). Also, it's a bit of a bugger to clean because you can't scour it or you'll lose the non-stick, but as it turns out it isn't very non-stick at all!

View attachment 90045

What I did with my grill pan was give it to the local thrift store. I got rid of it for the same reasons you mentioned.

CD

I have an All-Clad one that I got on discount. As you can see, the ridges are fairly flat and not that high off the surface of the pan:

I don’t think it does a particularly good or bad job of things - it does leave acceptable grill marks, but that’s about it.

I use it for the usual things, like burgers, sausages, steaks, and chops. I prefer not to cook outside, so I don’t mind it, but I’m glad I didn’t pay full price for it.

View attachment 90045
I tend to just use cast iron skillets for indoor oven broiling. No grill marks but good sear and easy cleanup

I thought about getting one of those, to put grill marks in steaks as they cook, but I didn't yet. :whistling:

I bought TWO grill pans like that, 30 years ago. Both solid iron. No "non-stick" crap, just solid chunks of iron with deep ridges.
One, I took to the beach, where it got ("permanently") borrowed.
The other was frequently used in my kitchen in Caracas, for searing, grilling meat, veg, etc.
One day I had a brain fart. Finished using it, took it outside so the smoke wouldn´t fill the kitchen, and poured water into it. CRACK! Broke in two.
What a bloody idiot...

Found THIS one on Amazon. I want one with a cover to keep the grease from splattering all over the place, especially on the stove! It's not made of cast iron, so it is very light in weight. And it has a nonstick cooking surface to make it easy to clean! :whistling:

Last edited:
My wife uses ours for frying fish on the hob.

I don't use it at all.

I got a LC square skillet, and only used for cooking steak... haha
I am a bit regret buying it as I don't use it very often and it is quite hard to wash it thoroughly

LC grill.jpg

DON´T wash it thoroughly! Remove all the food particles from it, by all means, but don´t scrub it every time you use it. NOOO! That´s what gives the skillet "quality". Wash with soap, remove food particles, allow to dry then just rub with a little bit of oil to prevent oxidation.

DON´T wash it thoroughly! Remove all the food particles from it, by all means, but don´t scrub it every time you use it. NOOO! That´s what gives the skillet "quality". Wash with soap, remove food particles, allow to dry then just rub with a little bit of oil to prevent oxidation.
Thank you for your tips

Back
Top Bottom