What do you like to cook in your pressure cooker?

Rosbif

Veteran
Local time
2:40 AM
It's a great tool and I'm looking for inspiration!

To start the ball rolling, I like to cook kidney beans, chickpeas (for chana masala) and stewing steak (for pies, Guiness stew, chilli) ...

I've cooked kidney beans in mine. I just pressure-cooked some pinto beans in it the other day!

I've done collard greens in it, as well as beef stew, soup & pot roast. :wink:

Pot roast... yum, I'll have to try that!

I'll also be trying borlotti beans in the pressure cooker soon (am in a bean phase right now)

I'll also be trying borlotti beans in the pressure cooker soon (am in a bean phase right now)

Later, I'll post some pics of it for you to see. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Slow/Pressure Cooked? Pot roasts are to die for. Chili. Beef Stews. Anything that can simmer for a long time to get flavor works as well.

I like food that has simmered for ages!

Pretty much any cut of meat along with a jar of Heinz gravy and perhaps some vegetables like onions or potatoes works out really well. Initially I was worried the thick gravy might be a problem in the pressure cooker, since I had some bad experiences with thick tomato sauces burning and scorching in it, but the gravy worked out beautifully. It actually thins out a little bit from the excess moisture the meat and veggies give off during the cooking process. I like to cook a boneless ribeye pork roast in it, or those country style boneless pork ribs, along with some chicken or pork gravy, with carrots, onions and potatoes. Boneless skinless turkey breasts work great in there too along with a jar or two of turkey gravy since the pressure cooking keeps them super moist and prevents them from drying out.

If you are in a bit of a hurry you can make pasta with meatballs in it too. Just dump in a jar or two of sauce, some frozen meatballs, and a pasta like Penne or Rotini on top of it all, then cook on high for about 15 minutes. If your sauce is super thick you might want to add a splash of water or broth. I try to avoid putting the pasta on the very bottom as it can brown a bit as the pot is heating up. Also, don't use sauces with too much sugar as they will scorch. The pasta literally cooks from the steam and moisture coming from the meatballs and the sauce.

Home made stocks come out beautifully in it too. I save all my scraps and odd & ends from the fresh veggies I buy at the store, all in a large bag in my freezer. I also debone and remove the skin from fresh chicken thighs as soon as I get home from the store and save those in the freezer too. Once I've accumulated enough I will make some fresh chicken stock with them, along with some some garlic, onions and fresh parsley. I usually cook it all on high for about an hour and 15 minutes, then strain it all.

Pressure cooked pot roast.jpg
Pressure cooked pot roast.jpg 2.jpg
Pressure cooked pot roast.jpg 3.jpg
Pressure cooked pot roast.jpg 4.jpg

Ok, Rosbif, here are the pics of the pressure-cooked pot roast that I said I'd post! Enjoy!! :wink:

Pretty much any cut of meat along with a jar of Heinz gravy and perhaps some vegetables like onions or potatoes works out really well. [...]

Nice ideas! I've only really ever done beef in my pressure cooker (and some chicken stock once). I tend to stick to the same things, which is a shame.
I wonder whether it would be possible to do pulled pork in the pressure cooker instead of the slow cooker. Must check that out...
Your pasta with frozen meatballs is a great idea, which I'll have to try, as well as freezing chicken bones for stock.
Nom nom nom, so much food, so little time :)

My good lord, Shermie that looks delicious. I'm especially hungry for some meatsauce filling over rice for some reason, and I think you inspired me to go set some to go. :smug:

My good lord, Shermie that looks delicious. I'm especially hungry for some meatsauce filling over rice for some reason, and I think you inspired me to go set some to go. :smug:

Thanks!

I LOVE musing the pressure cooker for things like this!!
Oh. I also made Boston Baked Beans in it as well!! :wink:

Nice ideas! I've only really ever done beef in my pressure cooker (and some chicken stock once). I tend to stick to the same things, which is a shame.
I wonder whether it would be possible to do pulled pork in the pressure cooker instead of the slow cooker. Must check that out...
Your pasta with frozen meatballs is a great idea, which I'll have to try, as well as freezing chicken bones for stock.
Nom nom nom, so much food, so little time :)

Pulled pork works perfectly in a pressure cooker. It's much faster than waiting around for it all day. I would just suggest that you cook the pork first then shred and drain it before adding the sauce. You can also make it even better by putting your shredded and tossed in BBQ pulled pork into a baking casserole and baking it in the oven for a bit to thicken the sauce and caramelize it a little on top. Not a necessary step, but it makes it even better if you've got the time. Also, since you are cooking in a pressure cooker vs. something like an outdoor smoker, you don't really need a super fatty cut like pork butt (shoulder) or anything bone in. Those work great on smokers and outdoor BBQ's since the fat slowly renders out and bastes the meat during the long cooking times, but in something like a pressure cooker or a slow cooker, that fat has nowhere to go, and you can wind up with some really greasy pulled pork. I would instead go with something leaner like a ribeye roast - with a mix of dark and light meat but not too much fat. A loin will work, but those can be almost a bit too dry. Also, it helps to cut the meat into smaller parts than putting a whole roast in at once - cooks more evenly, especially if you intend to shred it anyhow.

Back
Top Bottom