What do you miss about the UK?

Wandering Bob

Über Member
Local time
12:53 PM
I quit the UK 20 years ago and lived/worked in various European countries before finally settling in France. In each of the countries where I've lived, I've found that when meeting someone new, I'm inevitably asked three questions - "where are you from?", "what do you like about living here?" and "what do you miss about the UK?".

The first of these – “where are you from?” - is so difficult to explain that I just don't bother trying to answer it. I was once asked this in the US and replied "London" and was then asked "oh....so you know the Queen?'.

"What do you like about living here?" is also easy to deal with - a smile and "everything!" usually does the trick.

I have the most fun with the "what do you miss about the UK?" question. If it's a Brit asking me, I usually mutter something about Bangladeshi takeaways and change the subject. If I'm asked the question by a French person - and I'm feeling mildly provocative - I often say "the weather". When I'm being hugely provocative, I say "English bread". Ha.

But what I really miss about the UK is the sense of humour. That pithy, caustic, irreverent humour that I find so funny and which I’ve never found elsewhere in Europe. Thank Heavens for this forum ….

Very little. Decent beer and carry out cod and chips (although it is doubtful that I could afford either of them these days).

My kids, of course.

I do not miss the weather.

I've been out of the UK now for almost 25 years so my memories are of how it was, not how it is now.

Very little. Decent beer and carry out cod and chips (although it is doubtful that I could afford either of them these days).

My kids, of course.

I do not miss the weather.

I've been out of the UK now for almost 25 years so my memories are of how it was, not how it is now.
Don't miss the cod and chips - mostly gone way downhill now - half of the chippys think it is ok to supply something [not cod or haddock] fried in oil [mostly tastes like ex sump oil] but not dripping, with bones and skin on it !

Don't miss the cod and chips - mostly gone way downhill now - half of the chippys think it is ok to supply something [not cod or haddock] fried in oil [mostly tastes like ex sump oil] but not dripping, with bones and skin on it !

Oh dear. What is the world coming to. I was reminiscing to when cod was 6d and chips 3d (cooked in beef dripping). I think haddock was 9d (specially ordered). Couldn't always afford the cod so just made do with the free scraps to supplement the chips.

I just about manage here.............

fried fish.jpg

Albeit many years ago, I have eaten cod and chips in Harry Ramsden's in Guiseley (of course), Liverpool, Manchester, Manchester Airport, Ellesmere Port food court, Hong Kong and Singapore. The quality of the food was generally quite good, albeit expensive.

Sure, what English does not know the Queen! or even the fax number of Oscar Wilde? (quote from the movie Four Weddings and a Funeral)

The three questions you're writing of are quite universal. And soon, it will also be up to me to hear someone ask "what do you miss about Italy?"
I have already an answer: "Fellini!"

If I'm ever away - and its been a long time since I was out of the country - then its the sheer variety ingredients and food available in the UK. This might all change after Brexit. :eek:

And I genuinely miss the weather as I can't stand heat. Having said that its bonkers heat here at the moment.

If I was away for longer it would be Pubs and the fantastic variety of real ale.

I had fish and chips at a pub in Leicester Square a few years ago, and I naturally expected great things. But, what you describe here is exactly what I got: a greasy fried fish with the skin on, and I had to work around the bones. I've been to England several times previously, and I thought I was mis-remembering how it used to be (as the memory of things seems to improve with age). But, from what you're saying, I might have been remembering correctly after all!

What I miss is the efficiency of the public transport system in London. People who live there might have criticisms (such as how most lines of the Tube stop running when it's not too late at night). But, it's infinitely better than what we have in Michigan. It's no secret that the auto industry made sure that there wouldn't be a viable public transport system in Detroit, so everyone drives. I'd love to be able to catch a train to downtown - or to work, for that matter - and work my way around without having to park my car.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom