What Do You Snack On?

Think Hara hachi bu as far as food consumption is concerned, get a good nights sleep in a dark room with no distractions, add some exercise even if it's just a walk if your not getting much, and consume as many whole foods as you can. You can't think food in a vacuum, it needs to be part of your lifestyle, at least this is my take away from being involved with nutritional science for the last 20 years.

Hara Hachi Bu: Enjoy Food and Lose Weight With This Simple Japanese Phrase

Well yes, of course but there are some schools of thought which think that little and often rather than 3 larger meals a day is a better way to eat because it prevents being too hungry and therefore over eating at main meals. I'm not saying I agree with that. The jury is out really. There is scarce scientific proof either way. I tend to think that its a question of what suits the individual and their lifestyle.

There's an article here: 3-Hour Diet or 3 Meals a Day?
Hunger is a hormonal response mostly. Remove carbs from the diet and the overwhelming result will be a feeling of being more satiated in all RCT that compare low carb with calorie restriction, every time. We as human beings have evolved to thrive either in a feast or famine scenario and one of the main reasons we put on weight and the reason we have biological mechanisms to ensure we survive in those times of starvation.....I think we'll survive just fine not eating continually throughout the day. :okay:

I would like to see the source quote as I find it hard to believe this is what is recommended by official US guidelines.

Could you please quote from the source flyinglentris, to clarify this?

The US Guidelines is a big fat PDF on the web and I'm not wanting to spend time even browsing through it. I have been advised by dieticians and given handouts describing meal sizes and snacking between meals.

Information provided on the web is conflicting. Some support the snacking between meals, while others say emphatically, that no snacking should be done. In that vein, it is ultimately, your choice what to do.

Snacking between meals is supposed to have two major effects, 1) balance matabolism and fuel the body throughout the day and 2) reduce hunger levels at actual meal time (the late meal).

I don't think it's the idea of snacking between (smaller) meals that may be garnering the attention here, it's the use of the word "continuously," which can be taken to mean eating in a near nonstop fashion. That may be what needs a little clarification.

You're talking about going from the old standard of three meals a day and making those smaller and then supplementing periodic snacks, right? Maybe "eating smaller meals and snacks at regular intervals" might be more accurate?

Blimey - is that really so? I find it hard to believe that US Dietary guidelines would say that 'food should be consumed continuously throughout the day'. That would be a licence to encourage obesity.

I don't really snack at all. Maybe occasionally a packet of crisps. I also don't eat three meals a day. Usually one light meal in the evening and an even lighter one at lunch time. Often nothing for lunch. I do 'taste test' the food I cook for others though.

The idea is to keep your metabolism working. It is a practice I call "grazing." Also, keep in mind, a snack can be some celery sticks and carrots, or a handful of roasted nuts. It doen't have to be cookies/biscuits or cakes.

That is how I often eat -- small amounts of food every few hours. Three fixed meals a day is a recent thing in human history. Early humans had to "graze." They had no refrigerators, or canned goods.

CD

The US population is about 75% overweight and obese and diabetes or prediabetes is just over 1/3rd and not going in the right direction. There's literally hundred of well designed RCT that show meal frequency has no relationship to weight gain or loss and promoting an "eat continually through out the day" mantra is about as unscientific as you can get.

Your numbers are inflated, and lumping overweight and obese together is pure hype, IMO. Your BMI can be 1-percent above the overweight threshold, and by your thinking, you are lumped into the same group as someone who is morbidly obese.

The actual obesity rate is too high, at 42-percent (add in overweight and it still doesn't reach 75 percent according to the CDC).

I get so tired of the whole "Americans are a bunch of lard-a$$ pigs." talk from people outside the US.

There are a lot of complicating factors in those obesity rates. Socio-economic factors paly a big part. You might think poor people would not be obese, but they make up a substantial portion of obese Americans, because they don't have access to abundance of supermarkets full of fresh food that we in the suburbs have.

Obesity rates also very by State. Poorer States have higher obesity rates. States with a highly educated population making good incomes have lower obesity rates. It's complicated.

BTW, I am 5 foot 11 inches tall, and weigh 175 pounds, and I can almost guarantee that my BMI would put me in the overweight category.

CD

Last edited:
Potato chips here about once a fortnight. Chocolate peanuts for the wife. I'm not big on snacks.
Like Morning Glory eating patterns are similar. Main meal at night.

Russ

Again, some of you may be equating snacks with potato chips, cookies and candy bars.

An apple is a snack. Raw veggies can be a snack. A handful of almonds can be a snack. A few slices of cheese can be a snack.

From the University of Texas (yes, we have universities here, and they are pretty good).

According to research, eating 5-6 times per day is ideal for your metabolism and will help to optimize your energy level throughout the day. Aim for 3 reasonably-sized meals with 2-3 small snacks in between. Eating every 2-3 hours will prevent excessive hunger that can lead to over-eating for some people.

Listen to your body. Stop eating when you are comfortably full, before you feel stuffed and uncomfortable. Eating frequent, small portions will help you to moderate your intake if you tend to overeat.

CD

Last edited:
There are a lot of complicating factors in those obesity rates. Socio-economic factors paly a big part. You might think poor people would not be obese, but they make up a substantial portion of obese Americans, because they don't have access to abundance of supermarkets full of fresh food that we in the suburbs have.

This is also true in the UK. Poverty and obesity are related. A lot of high calorie foods are cheap - here its not to do with access to supermarkets. Its more the case that its cheap to buy high calorie, high carb foods which fill you up. This is a very complex issue and the picture varies across cultures and countries.

As for what I like to snack on...

1. An apple, cored and cut into wedges, and sprinkled with cinnamon

2. A few slices of cheddar on some unsalted crackers

3. Grapes (red or green seedless)

4. Olives stuffed with jalapeño.

5. Almonds and/or peanuts (unsalted)

6. Celery sticks spread with peanut butter (natural, no added sugars)

I'm sure I will think of more.

CD

Snacks are as you say an apple or any fruit. Peanuts or cashews also. My wife snacks on organic apples, and years they are so much nicer than store bought. I put a plate of say, m and ms out on a sunday for family and wee ones to pick at. We don't have chips etc I our r pantry. Just buy once in a while for a treat. Watching cricket or footy.
I. Recently bought a bag of Bujah mix for when we have a curry night. They may sit there for a month or so.

Russ

This is also true in the UK. Poverty and obesity are related. A lot of high calorie foods are cheap - here its not to do with access to supermarkets. Its more the case that its cheap to buy high calorie, high carb foods which fill you up. This is a very complex issue and the picture varies across cultures and countries.

Yes, price is part of it. Unhealthy processed foods are cheap. In the US, there is the added factor of what are called "food deserts." Mostly in high-poverty urban areas. The major grocery chains don't want to open stores there. They focus on middle and high income neighborhoods, where the money is.

CD

Back
Top Bottom