What do you view as Canadian food?

I use to see as Canadian food dishes which main ingredient is salmon, although I know there are some other recipes and obviously maple syrup is a must in many breakfasts and desserts.

It's curious but I read once that American cuisine and Canadian cuisine are among the poorest when it comes to variety of dishes and recipes, but I don't think this could be true at all. Perhaps these cuisines are not as world famous as others, but if we put together the recipes of the different regions in both countries we have a large variety of dishes then..

Off the top of my head - Maple syrup, Moose lips, and Clamato juice.

But this may all be based on stereotypes and knowing a couple of Canadians at University, neither of whom may have been representative....:wink:

(I've never been to Canada.)

Definitely poutine. It sounded really odd but then I tried one with minced meat etc in it and it was absolutely delicious. Not something I'd eat regularly but it's definitely a great choice compared to the usual pub food.

Off the top of my head - Maple syrup, Moose lips, and Clamato juice.

But this may all be based on stereotypes and knowing a couple of Canadians at University, neither of whom may have been representative....:wink:

(I've never been to Canada.)
I don't even think I've ever heard of moose lips? Now I'm curious, what is it exactly? I have obviously heard of Clamato juice, but never associated it as a Canadian drink. But the clear consensus is that maple syrup is a Canadian treasure. Another pretty Canadian food I thought of is beaver tails.

I'm sure my boss mentioned moose lips, he's been to Canada twice. So I googled:

Moose Lips

What You Need:
1 apple with red skin
Peanut butter
Mini-marshmallows

What You Do:

1. Carefully cut apple into eight pieces; be sure to get help if you need it.

2. Remove the core from each piece by cutting out the center that holds the seeds.

3. Smear one side of each slice with peanut butter.

4. Push a row of mini-marshmallows into the peanut butter on four apple slices.

5. Top each slice with another apple slice, peanut butter side down, matching top and bottom shapes. You should have something resembling a moose mouth!

Clearly, it's not as Canadian as I was lead to believe.

Clamato juice isn't something we have much over here, I only heard about it from a Canadian.

Moose lips sound... uummm... WAY too sweet. Yuck!
And I had to google Clamato juice, sounds exciting. What does everyone think of it?

There's some decent brewing going on in Canada. Unibroue and Dieu Du Ciel make world-class beer.

Oh gosh, to be honest I don't know much about Canadian food. Although, as I plan of visiting Vancouver in 2014, I guess I'll soon find out. I do know about poutine and maple syrup though ha ha. If I were to guess I'd say Canada has a lot of seafood and steak based dishes. I have read that Vancouver is well known for it's international cuisine e.g Japanese, Thai, Indian ect...
I'd also guess that the French side of Canada would offer lots of traditional French breads, pastries and dishes.

I guess I just assumed Canadian food was heavily French influenced. Aside from that, the usuals - Maple Syrup and "Canadian Bacon". Perhaps Ginger Ale too? (Canada Dry, which happens to be my favorite soda).

I can never say Poutine with a straight face because it is so similar to an Italian slang term for "whores".

When I think about Canadian food, I imagine a lot of game, syrup and french fries. You know the latter (french fries) is covered with cheese and gravy in this country. This is a popular food.

CanadianCCC.jpg

When I think of Canada, I don't think of food in the same way that I would be able to list off a lot of meals or delicacies from Italy, China, India, France, Greece or Morocco, to name just a few places. However, the stereotypical maple syrup comes to mind. Also, a cafe I used to work in served something called Steak Canadian's. This was similar to a hot beef barmcake but instead of a nice thick slice of juicy roast beef, diners were treated to a flat square of processed meat of unidentifiable origin. I am not sure if this originated in Canada or is just a name given to it. I also know there are areas of Canada recommended for salmon fishing so it follows that salmon is eaten there. I have never heard of poutine and will have to Google this one.

Back Bacon and Beaver Tails. Smoked salmon is a good one too. Beaver Tails are a pastry by the way. The problem with much North American food is that most of us are imports and with us came our culinary history. Canadian food is more of a set of Canadianized substitutions on other recipes. We may swap out moose meat for beef, or use maple syrup instead of corn syrup in a recipe. Native North Americans probably have the only truly unique cooking as it was developed independently from European influences.

Back
Top Bottom