What do you want to cook -- what's caught your eye?

I want to cook Malai Kofta.
Malai Kofta is an ingenious, vegetarian kofta invented by hindu, vegetarian cooks for carnivorous Muslim emperors.
About 10 years ago, i was asked to cater for the Indian community in Caracas, and one of the organizers said:
" Can you do malai kofta?"
Mr Clever Dick said:
" But of course! A piece of cake!"
Then I went home and looked at the recipe.:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:
I found a video on U Tube: Malai Kofta
Then I made the dish 5 times, until I was satisfied with the texture. When I got to the event, I thought: "OMG, if I pour this sauce over the kofta straight off, they´re going to fall apart!" - so I served it as a sauce on the side, which was unbelievably wierd for the guests, but actually worked.
I want to cook Malai Kofta again, but wonder whether I have the patience!

I want to cook Malai Kofta.
Malai Kofta is an ingenious, vegetarian kofta invented by hindu, vegetarian cooks for carnivorous Muslim emperors.
About 10 years ago, i was asked to cater for the Indian community in Caracas, and one of the organizers said:
" Can you do malai kofta?"
Mr Clever Dick said:
" But of course! A piece of cake!"
Then I went home and looked at the recipe.:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:
I found a video on U Tube: Malai Kofta
Then I made the dish 5 times, until I was satisfied with the texture. When I got to the event, I thought: "OMG, if I pour this sauce over the kofta straight off, they´re going to fall apart!" - so I served it as a sauce on the side, which was unbelievably wierd for the guests, but actually worked.
I want to cook Malai Kofta again, but wonder whether I have the patience!
I watched the video. Yeah, I can see why people might have a difficult time making the vegetable version of this dish, especially when adding to the sauce. The proportions of ingredients and the moisture content are key as you probably found out. But yeah, sauce on the side would have been weird for them.

Baklava and Kunefe have also been on my list to learn for a long time.

Kunefe is one of my favorite desserts, but hard to get around here and very elaborate.
Knafeh - Wikipedia
both of those are on my to do list as well.
I love baklava. ate rather a lot of it during our time in Turkey. :chocegg::hungry:

Blimey - this just loaded with sugar: sugar itself and two types of syrup in the sauce. I do like a bit of sweet 'n hot but this is far too much for me.
I´d say - don´t knock it till you´ve tried it. It surprises me sometimes how much sugar is used in some oriental recipes, and yet the dishes are not sickly sweet. There´s loads of chile in that sauce and it would probably balance out the sugar.

I´d say - don´t knock it till you´ve tried it. It surprises me sometimes how much sugar is used in some oriental recipes, and yet the dishes are not sickly sweet. There´s loads of chile in that sauce and it would probably balance out the sugar.

Yes, I make a few sauces that have brown sugar and maple syrup in them, as well as hot (usually cayenne) chili peppers. You would think that would be over the top sweet, but it isn't.

CD

I just remembered something i want to try to make - lardo. I figured out a way to make a marble box with marble tiles and food grade silicone, and found a place to source high quality back fat, but I never followed through. Maybe some day.

I pretty well know it would be far too sweet for me. I could try to make the sauce and try it. I don't have any plum syrup though...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom