What ethnic food do you eat during the holidays?

True2marie

Veteran
Local time
2:16 AM
My roots are in the south. So, my Christmas meal is often offset by a plate of collard greens. Friends of mine from other regions of America find this tradition odd. However, I always look forward to this food during the holidays.

Recipe for easy collard greens.

My mom's side of the family is part Polynesian so sometimes my mom will make a pineapple pie or coconut buns on Christmas morning for dessert following lunch. Although sometimes she makes trifle instead. My dad's side of the family is Dutch and Italian on my granddad's side and British on my grandmother's side and so there will often be European touches with festive meals e.g Hagelslag (Dutch chocolate sprinkles, which are normally eaten with bread but we put them on ice cream or strawberries), and Speculaas (hard Dutch cookies in the shape of windmills). Most of the mains are pretty typical though e.g mashed poatos, roast vegetables, Mediterranean salads, meat, pasta ect..

I come from a Guyanese background. For those of you who don't know, Guyana is a country located in South America. Coming from a Caribbean back ground means a lot of great food during the holiday season. Christmas this year was especially great for me because I spent it back home in Guyana. A staple holiday indulgence in the Caribbean islands is rum cake! Another great thing specific to Guyana is a dish called Pepper Pot. However, contrary to its name it isn't spicy at all it's quite the opposite! It is made using meats such as chicken, goat, beef whatever you prefer. My personal favourite is chicken! This great holiday meal is eaten with a bread of harder texture as opposed to the typical soft fluffy breads.

My mother's family is from Italy and my favorite part of Christmas preparations is the struffoli! They're basically little balls of fried dough that get drenched in a sweet honey sauce, and colorful sprinkles. They're definitely best when eaten right out of the fryer, though we always make a mountain of them big enough to last week!

The most traditional foods we serve here are honey glazed ham and/or roasted pig, which I like more, but it's way more expensive. It's worth it, though, since it's a process that would be very difficult to duplicate at home anyway.

Back
Top Bottom