What fun things did you used to do..........

It used to be a big deal when a date would take me to down town Miami to one of the big fancy movie theaters. I remember one used to be done up in gold all over the place. I wonder if it is still there?

Back in the late 60's there were some great clubs in Portsmouth (my home town). One I remember was the 'Vat' - the Indigo Vat: It was also known as the bottle-in-the-wall club, due to the number of wine bottles set in the walls. Here is a sample of what was going one there:
March 1967
Spinner described the new Rolling Stones album Aftermath as their “long road to insignificance” but he was more enthusiastic about the new single by Indigo Vat favourites Simon Dupree & the Big Sound “Reservations” which they were promoting with local record store appearances. Local soul bands the Inspiration and St Louis Checks played at the Indigo Vat, followed by the Academy and the Shame – the latter including future star Greg Lake (Emerson, Lake & Palmer and "I Believe in Father Christmas")

Last edited:
When we were dating, it was in my wife's hometown, very large town/very small city, and not much to do.

We'd typically go to the movies, unless we'd already seen everything at the two cinemas in town. We also liked to meet friends for drinks and dancing at a couple of different places in town. That was about it.

Another fun thing we used to do on date night. Go to Miami Beach. The big hotels on the beach had entertainment lounges. So long ago, I can't remember his name, but there was a real good comedian that I used to love to go to watch. And a lot of the other places had real good bands and we did a lot of dancing.

I don't know if they still have them or not, but one of the fun things we used to do when dating was go play miniature golf. It was more fun if we double dated. More competition. lol

Are there still rolling skating rinks around? That was also fun to do.

I don't know if they still have them or not, but one of the fun things we used to do when dating was go play miniature golf. It was more fun if we double dated. More competition. lol

Are there still rolling skating rinks around? That was also fun to do.
Yeah, they're both still around, especially mini-putt. It's going through a resurgence right now. There are two courses with 20 miles of me.

Roller rink, I'd have to drive a little farther, about 40 minutes. We do have women's roller derby here, though. :)

It used to be a big deal when a date would take me to down town Miami to one of the big fancy movie theaters. I remember one used to be done up in gold all over the place. I wonder if it is still there?

I used to be a runner for the law firm my mother worked for in down town, Miami. You can't easily see the Dade County courthouse for all the high rises there anymore. Just like the Beach, I avoid it like the plague.

Just Because it's a Bad idea Doesn't Mean it Won't be Fun.
My dad had a new, second Year of production XKE Jag.
No speed limits in Nevada in those days.
Took it across the desert highway to Las Vegas full throttle.
No, I didn't have permission.

My high-school girlfriend and I went to dinner, movies, and concerts, but also rather enjoyed watching the Submarine Races down by the river. :cool:

CD

Back
Top Bottom