What happened to my eggs?

Puggles

Veteran
Local time
9:21 AM
I did some 6 and 1/2 minute eggs last night and for some reason they didn't come out well at all, they were a bit undercooked and almost impossible to peel. I have done them many times before and they always turn out wonderful. I can't make sense of this.

I did some 6 and 1/2 minute eggs last night and for some reason they didn't come out well at all, they were a bit undercooked and almost impossible to peel. I have done them many times before and they always turn out wonderful. I can't make sense of this.
If the method was the same, I’d put it on the eggs.

Could be the eggs were too fresh and/or had a tough membrane. Older eggs are easier to peel.

Out of interest, when do you tome the 6 and half minutes from? I mean, are the eggs placed in boiling water or cold water then heated?

Could be the eggs were too fresh and/or had a tough membrane. Older eggs are easier to peel.

Out of interest, when do you tome the 6 and half minutes from? I mean, are the eggs placed in boiling water or cold water then heated?
That's the most confusing part, the expiration date was 5-1-24. I've gotten much better results with fresher eggs than this.

I'm puzzled a bit.

for hard boiled UDSA large eggs - taken out of the refrigerator - I do 14 minutes into already boiling water.
followed by an immediate ice water shock.
soft boiled, 4 min 45 sec . . .

so while some +/- timing is perfectly natural - 6'30" sounds a bit odd.

Wow - we all do it differently. I put the eggs into a small pan, cover with water, salt, touch of vinegar and bring to a boil. 5 minutes, then off the heat and leave for 5 minutes.

Fresh eggs are notorious for being hard to peel. Having had chickens for 8 years now, this has been a big problem. Also we've noticed that some breeds and some individual birds can also have difficult to peel eggs as well. We don't even try peeling eggs that have been laid in the last couple of weeks.

Plus at this time of year in your hemisphere, the newer layers will just be starting to lay for the first time and those eggs can be problematic until their bodies adjust to laying almost everyday.

It can be very hit and miss.

I'm puzzled a bit.

for hard boiled UDSA large eggs - taken out of the refrigerator - I do 14 minutes into already boiling water.
followed by an immediate ice water shock.
soft boiled, 4 min 45 sec . . .

so while some +/- timing is perfectly natural - 6'30" sounds a bit odd.
I put eggs into boiling water, cover, lower heat to simmer and set a timer for about 6 and a half to 7 minutes and then shock them in a ice bath. It usually turn out great.

Back
Top Bottom