What has been your worst cooking / food experience?

ChowDownBob

Supersize Me!
Local time
9:00 PM
We've all had our culinary disasters. Meals that haven't gone to plan, taste combinations that seemed like a good idea at the time but didn't work out on the plate.

What has been your worst cooking / food experience?

The one most remembered in this household is the first baked cheesecake I made.

We were both students living in the same house at the time (my husband and i) and had little money to spare on luxuries, which is what this was. Purchasing all the ingredients cost a lot of money with loads of cream and strawberries involved as well. I had made the cheesecake and let it cool in the cake tin as I was meant to. It was one of those removable bottom cake tins without a spring form side and I had put the cheesecake on a jar to try to ease the cake out of the container. It wasn't coming out easily so I turned my back to go to the cutlery drawer to get a knife when my then fiance walked into the kitchen and accidentally knocked it... Gravity took over and it ended up on the floor which was carpeted... The dog we lived with came in to see what was happening... We ended up eating some of it, what was not touching the carpet. It was upside down with the digestive biscuit base being the first barrier... I whipped up the cream and we sat on the floor with the cream, the strawberries and a spoon each. the dog helped :-

It was very nice btw.

Goose!
Decided to go "proper" traditional a few Years ago for Christmas dinner so bought a goose (never tried it before)
It cost a fortune, took Hours to cook and when it was finally ready, it was just a block of grease and totally inedible.
Mind you, with all the veg, we still had a really good Christmas dinner :)

Will be very different this Year, either a nut roast or might just do only veg (I've stopped eating meat & dairy)

Well, what comes to mind right off actually wasn't my fault, but it was really scary. One time in HS, I was baking biscuits for dinner when the oven element ruptured. It made a big flash and I freaked and dove behind the counter thinking the oven was going to explode. My dad calmly turned it off and looked inside and then was wondering why I freaked out so much. It took my parents months to get around to buying a new element so I had to deal with just a toaster oven for a long time, which makes unevenly baked brownies.

Back
Top Bottom