What ingredient can I add to kebab to keep it together?

We make gyro meat using this technique.

Recipe - Gyro homemade!

There are oven cooked directions that others have tried in the thread, but we always cook on rotissere so I can't vouch for them.

I make meatball or small log type kebabs using a binder(s) as mentioned above, bread crumbs, egg. They get shaped, placed on as skewer and are grilled. We've never had a problem with them falling apart.

Last edited:
There is a technique in sausage making that creates great natural binding thus changing the texture of the finished product..If you have a mixer you can use your bread hook or pie attachment to mix the raw meat with the seasonings for an extended period like two minutes or so..This really blends the fats and lean meat together to create one cohesive product that won't typically turn grainy when cooked.

Exactly. If someone doesn't have a stand mixer the food processor works quite well though. Something about overprocessiing the meat is a positive in this instance. I did something similar but I cooked my meat in a loaf and then sliced it for gyros, not quite the same technique but it was delicious.

Correct, I was making an Asian sausage once, don't remember the name, but she wrote to make sure to mix in the same direction and to look for white threads on the bowl and in the meat.

Michael Ruhlman, as well as others, also suggests using a small amount of crushed ice or iced water when emulsifying a sausage mixture.

Correct, I was making an Asian sausage once, don't remember the name, but she wrote to make sure to mix in the same direction and to look for white threads on the bowl and in the meat.

Michael Ruhlman, as well as others, also suggests using a small amount of crushed ice or iced water when emulsifying a sausage mixture.
Silverskin? I try to remove before processing but it's not always easy.

No, it's not silverskin. It's protein threads that the meat develops as it is worked. It's part of the emulsification process.

Watching cooking shows this morning. ATK just got done making breakfast sausage this morning, season 23, episode 3, omelets and sausage. They talked about and demonstrated a perfect example of what I was writing about. The name of the protein that I couldn't remember is myosin.

Back
Top Bottom