What is dripping?

Shaun

Guru
Local time
3:13 PM
My wife mentioned she had it when she was younger and that it cold and solidified fat from cooked meat.

Is it eaten just like that or mixed with something? I can't imagine it's very appetising? <:yuck:>

my understanding is that it was not that different from spreading butter on toast. It is after all, simply melted fat from around the muscle/meat and not that different from the cow's milk fat only you can get it from any animal rather than just female lactating animals that you can actually milk and was therefore a much easier source of getting fat into the diet when fat in your diet was important for not being there in enough quantity rather than being there in too much quantity.

PS - you can still buy it in most supermarkets and butchers. In the supermarket - top shelf with the marg & butter - look for the jar.

Pork dripping spread on rustic bread with coarse sea salt is eaten as a starter/appetizer in Poland. Very nice if it is -15 with a foot of snow on the ground. Along with a shot or two of vodka.

Pork dripping spread on rustic bread with coarse sea salt is eaten as a starter/appetizer in Poland. Very nice if it is -15 with a foot of snow on the ground. Along with a shot or two of vodka.

A fat and salt sandwich - great :unsure:

I was a little apprehensive myself, but it was rather nice. Not sure the diet of huge volumes of fatty meat in Poland would suit me more than for a short visit. :)

My Mum used to enjoy the chicken dripping on toast when I was a kid - I think she's a bit more conscious of her fat intake these days. I've never had it, didn't fancy it back then, and I always use the meat fat to roast potatoes in anyway.

It would have been a valuable source of calories back in the days when we didn't have excess food rammed at us all the time.

Back
Top Bottom