What is the Best Type of Chopping Board?

Food4thought

Veteran
Local time
1:42 PM
I prepare a lot of vegetables and use a glass chopping board which has a textured surface. I much prefer using this to other boards I've used in the past. The surface cannot be cut with a knife. It is easy to clean and I feel it is more hygienic.

Wooden boards get cut and scratched and are hard to keep clean and germ free. Boards with an articificial surface may also get cuts and damaged.

A granite slab would probably be the best solution, but those are expensive.

My preference is for wooden chopping boards. Germs only breed on them if you let them. Keep it clean and more importantly dry and germs can't breed.
Periodically I scrub mine down with bleach and a scrubber, dry it off overnight and then re-oil it a couple of times. Seems to work really well (but I don't have fish/meat products in the house to deal with).

I have a bamboo one that I use for my veggies and then a few plastic ones that I use for chicken and fish. I don't eat hardly any red meet and I don't cook it either. Love the bamboo board!

Glass is perhaps one of the worst types of cutting boards you can use, in terms of damaging your knives. I prefer to simply stick with the plastic cutting boards and replace them periodically as the surfaces become too roughed up. While wood is one of the least damaging to your knives, there is often concern over germs being trapped in the wood. Sure, you can clean it with soapy water, and salts, and rub oils in it to seal it, but this is all rather tedious and time consuming, not to mention you have to keep waiting until it dries completely before you can use it again. Interestingly, the plastic ones aren't as clean as many people think, recent studies showed that cut up plastic boards can trap germs much like their wooden counterparts.

Back
Top Bottom