What is the first thing that you cooked when you were a child?

firelily99

Veteran
Local time
1:19 AM
The first thing that I cooked when I was a little girl was polka dot macaroni and cheese. I had to cook a meal as a merit badge project for Girl Scouts and that was it. Basically it was pre-packaged mac and cheese with sliced up hot dogs! Everybody liked it though and no one got sick from eating it!

When I was still a child way back I was 10 years old I remembered the first thing that I cooked is egg omelette with chopped ham, tomatoes and onion. It is my favorite up to now that is why I really learned how to cooked it and it is just easy and even a child can do it.

Spaghetti!

And to this day, it continues to be one of my favorite meals. This was one of the things my mom always let me help with. She'd have me brown the hamburger, watch the water for boiling. She'd break the noodles but then let me put them in. And she always let me make the salad. Now I realize that spaghetti is one my quick easy meals when we have a night of crazy schedules. It is funny though, because it is such a comfort food for me that I always look forward to it.

And sadly, my children don't love spaghetti like I do. One doesn't like it at all and always wants her noodles without sauce.

The first thing that I cooked, I believe it was Mac and Cheese, and yes, it was kraft. It's not one of my best accomplishments, but I was able to do it all on my own without my mother's help, so it was good enough for me. I think I was around the age of 11 or 12, because I was alone with my younger brother and we were both hungry so I had to make something that the both of us would actually eat. It turned out pretty good and from then on my mother trusted me with the stove! :p:

It was a happy day when I was trusted with the stove enough that she let me cook when I was left to babysit my brother. I felt so grown up although the cooking wasn't anything spectacular.

Probably pasta. I learned how to make pasta really early on, since it's one of the easiest and fastest dishes to make. I probably learned to make noodles first, then actual pasta. I wasn't very interested in cooking when I was a child, I just started experimenting when I went to college and had my own apartment (and my own kitchen). Until then I just knew how to microwave leftovers, cook pasta, rice, eggs and simple things like that!

Top Ramen!!

My mom HATES the smell of ramen. She will not eat it at all, but even just preparing it is enough to gross her out.

I, on the other hand, loved it. So as soon as I was old enough to do it myself, the rule was that if I wanted it, I had to cook it myself, lol. Now of course, at that early of an age, I still had to be supervised and she still had to tolerate the smell and be there for me with the hot boiling water, etc. It made me feel like I had such a huge responsibility, though, and it didn't really even dawn on me until later that she was still "sacrificing" in order to let me have that responsibility and privilege.

It was macaroni and cheese at five years old for me too. :) Each day 3 students in my new entrant's class would get to try a new skill e.g cooking or making jewellery with the help of our teacher's assistant. I remember making macaroni cheese with the assistant teacher and two of my friends and being so proud of our creation and getting to eat it for lunch in-front of our other friends while they ate their boxed lunches from home. Our school didn't have a cafeteria.

Besides the easy ones like eggs and hotdogs, I'd say that the first dish I learned to cook by myself was probably fried rice. I think this is the one that started off my fascination with cooking as I was able to experiment with different ingredients everytime doing this dish due to it being a lot more forgiving than most other dishes in terms of deviation from the basic recipe.

I learned to make all kinds of foods that didn't require the use of the stove. The first thing I learned to cook hot was cookies, that is something I did assisted by my grandmother whenever I spent the night.

It was a sunny side up. Well, a burnt sunny-side up that I still ate because I needed to make a sandwich for a school project, haha.

The first things that I have learned to cook is rice. We almost have rice on a daily basis on main courses so, knowing how to cook rice is very important. I have also learned that egg can be cooked together with rice so that when the rice was ready, you also have a boiled egg with it.

Knowing me, it was a breakfast food. I remember making scrambled eggs and pancakes a lot as a kid. I also baked my own birthday cake one year...and then proceeded to frost it before it had cooled. It broke apart a little bit but my stepdad said it still tasted really good and that was all that mattered!

Probably just three minute noodles. My mother always tried to teach me to make rice when I was younger but it took me a little while to learn, because I always seemed to either burn it or make it too wet. I would like to think that now I have mastered both the rice and the noodles!

My mother's old manservant, I called him grandfather, let me whisk the eggs for pancakes once. I don't remember how old I was, but I believe that moment sparked my interest in cooking. :)

When he added the flour and sugar, it became too difficult for me to beat, so I must have been very young with no motor skills. I stuck with scrambling eggs since then, although it took me a while to figure out that to make it look like restaurant scrambled eggs instead of an eggy crepe or pancake I had to scramble it while it was still cooking...

Back
Top Bottom