What is the hottest (chilli) pepper you can tolorate?

I've noticed that habaneros have a mango-type flavor. Realizing this helps to leverage the other qualities of the pepper besides the heat, even though the heat is why it's in the recipe.

I love Aji Amarillo peppers for their flavor, but finding fresh peppers in the market is often a challenge for me.

Jalapenos, serranos, and habaneros are readily available just about anywhere that sells produce. But, what I struggle with somewhat is what do with the marginally spicy peppers, like poblanos and cherry peppers (both in the 500 range or less). Why use them when I can use readily available bell peppers? It's not like I'm getting any heat from them.
My favourite way to eat habanero is raw. I cut a paper thin slices and have them on a piece of cheese and cracker..

I think people eating chilis for heat alone are not right in the head. I use chilis for flavor and the heat level is to a point where the dish is just perfect, not blow the top of your head off. If you want more heat, add it at the table. When I make Thai curry pastes, they are always mild.
I'm partially Indonesian and Indonesian culture supports this idea. It's not about boasting about eating the hottest peppers, it's about adding flavor and depth to a dish.
Also the region of the country does matter for it's spice use. My relatives are from Sumatra which has a relatively mild coconut based kitchen, while Bali has a much hotter one.

Personally I prefer to use lombok chillies, bird's eye and jalapeno. I can tolerate heat up to naga joliokia (ghost pepper) level, after that I find it dominates the dish too much.

I think people eating chilis for heat alone are not right in the head. I use chilis for flavor and the heat level is to a point where the dish is just perfect, not blow the top of your head off. If you want more heat, add it at the table. When I make Thai curry pastes, they are always mild.

Very well-said! One place where I draw the line is guacamole: some people like to make it really spicy. I like guacamole and I like hot peppers, but I don't think they need to be together. I don't see the point in a guacamole that's so spicy you can't taste the avocado. What's the point of using avocado? If you just want texture and not flavor, you might as well boil a potato.

Last edited:
Container top part.

Russ

View attachment 96706
Vitamix food processor attachment..jpg

Vitamix now has a food processor attachment for their machines!! :whistling:

One place where I draw the line is guacamole: some people like to make it really spicy.
Over the past 3-4 years, I´ve spent more than 6 months in Mexico City. Apart from a guacamole "Festival" in one restaurant chain, I never once had guacamole that was anything except mashed avocado, salt and lime juice.

Back
Top Bottom