What is the hottest (chilli) pepper you can tolorate?

I´ll happily eat jalapeños, thai - style finger chiles, rocotos and habaneros. When I´m in Venezuela, the easiest ones to find are the Peruvian Ají Amarillo (Yellow chile) and the Venezuelan equivalent of Yorkie´s prik kee noo, which are known as pinguita de mono ( monkey´s d***s :eek:)
I´ve got loads of ghost chiles in the garden and I have tried them, but I´d say they´re seriously too hot to cook with. I dry them out and turn them into powder. Keeps the insects at bay.
And I´ll back medtran49 and caseydog regarding the acid reflux thing - just not true. Read up some of Dave de Witt´s stuff on chile peppers; he´s written 35 books about them. No acid reflux

Maybe people with acid reflux shouldn't eat hot chili's in case they'll vomit or react similar bad

I am a wimp and can't rake much heat. Closest I get is sweet red peppers - raw, which really isn't a "hot" pepper.
Anytime I eat anything with heat, it over powers the taste of everything else.

" Anytime I eat anything with heat, it over powers the taste of everything else. "

i agree with this and thats another reason why i refused to make my sausage any hotter than i already do
whats the point of making the best tasting sausage if all anyone can taste is the pepper !!!!
you reach a point when the pepper is about all you taste and it just becomes a waste of my time energy and good meat

One of the things that no-one has mentioned is that chiles have flavour. Yes, flavour! There are floral chiles, sweetish chiles, citric chiles, and chocolate flavoured chiles. Used with consideration, chiles can make a flavour difference to your dish.

Yes, the Carolina Reaper flakes I use for the white chocolate bark have a fruity note. You just have to use them  very judiciously.

Craig really likes a pepper we get at the Mexican Market. It's yellow and looks like a mini apple sort of. He's posted about them at Manzano Chili

Craig really likes a pepper we get at the Mexican Market. It's yellow and looks like a mini apple sort of
Yep - that´s what we call "Rocoto" in Venezuela and Perú. "Manzana" means apple in Spanish (for those who don´t speak the language). The Peruvians make a delicious stuffed rocoto, and remove a lot of the heat from the chile by cooking them in water, two or three times, before stuffing them.

I never have got the macho, chest puffing about eating the hottest possible chilli. You never hear women boasting about how much mouth pain they can tolerate, it's just a boy thing.
Me neither. I´ve worked with chile peppers for over 20 years, lectured on them, and tasted them all... but a taste means a tiny weeny sliver from somewhere in the middle of the fruit. Crunching on a Carolina Reaper must be like swallowing lighter fluid.

I’ll eat pretty much any pepper. How hot it is and how it is prepared will determine how much of it I’ll eat. The hotter it is, the sweeter it usually is. I love the flavour if I could just side step the pain.

I've noticed that habaneros have a mango-type flavor. Realizing this helps to leverage the other qualities of the pepper besides the heat, even though the heat is why it's in the recipe.

When I´m in Venezuela, the easiest ones to find are the Peruvian Ají Amarillo (Yellow chile) and the Venezuelan equivalent of Yorkie´s prik kee noo, which are known as pinguita de mono ( monkey´s d***s :eek:)

I love Aji Amarillo peppers for their flavor, but finding fresh peppers in the market is often a challenge for me.

Jalapenos, serranos, and habaneros are readily available just about anywhere that sells produce. But, what I struggle with somewhat is what do with the marginally spicy peppers, like poblanos and cherry peppers (both in the 500 range or less). Why use them when I can use readily available bell peppers? It's not like I'm getting any heat from them.

Jalapenos, serranos, and habaneros are readily available just about anywhere that sells produce. But, what I struggle with somewhat is what do with the marginally spicy peppers, like poblanos and cherry peppers (both in the 500 range or less). Why use them when I can use readily available bell peppers? It's not like I'm getting any heat from them.

The poblanos I grow, and the ones I buy locally have some heat. My homegrown ones have quite a bit of heat.

CD

Back
Top Bottom