The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
5:28 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
CA00FF7C-14D2-4393-BB7F-AECE9E57D7EF.jpeg

Someone where I work generously decided to offer these herbs for free. Unfortunately, they didn’t say what they are. The leaves are soft. Any ideas?

I though it was oregano, but there's no aroma and virtually no taste.

Last edited:
Yes - looks like oregano to me. Although the one I have in my garden is 'dwarf' and spreads rather than growing up in stalks. Found this photo of oregano which looks like yours:

commodity-oregano.jpg

Yes - looks like oregano to me. Although the one I have in my garden is 'dwarf' and spreads rather than growing up in stalks. Found this photo of oregano which looks like yours:

View attachment 28651
Does it have virtually no aroma and a minimal taste? If so, I might just grab all of them if no one else takes it by the end of the day.

i would guess oregano too. Herbs can vary greatly, both in leaf size and strength of flavour depending on the climate they are grown in, so very difficult to compare across continents!

That settles it. I waited a bit, just to be polite, then took the rest of it. I will integrate this into my next recipe (which I plan to enter in the miso challenge). Either it will work out perfectly and I will have a tasty dish, or it will end up being something completely different and I'll end up in the hospital. :laugh:

Does it have virtually no aroma and a minimal taste? If so, I might just grab all of them if no one else takes it by the end of the day.

No! It should be fragrant and taste slightly metallic and earthy. Its a type of marjoram - or at least related, I believe. I'm wondering if what you have might be marjoram - which is less pungent and can look similar.

See here: difference-between-oregano-and-marjoram.html

Last edited:
View attachment 28650

Someone where I work generously decided to offer these herbs for free. Unfortunately, they didn’t say what they are. The leaves are soft. Any ideas?

I though it was oregano, but there's no aroma and virtually no taste.

I think mgs shot looks exactly like mine, and my oregano when rubbed you can tell its oregano. I don't think yours is?? Just saaaaaying,lmao.

Russ

No! It should be fragrant and taste slightly metallic and earthy. Its a type of marjoram - or at least related, I believe. I'm wondering if what you have might be marjoram - which is less pungent and can look similar.

See here: difference-between-oregano-and-marjoram.html
When tore the leaves, I did get a nice aroma...yes, it was probably marjoram. It went into the rice dish I made, and it was tasty.

Back
Top Bottom