What is Your Best Recipe?

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
5:28 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
We have a lot of talented cooks here who have diverse backgrounds and experiences. Some of the recipes I see here are just incredible. Whether they're the invention of the cook, or an homage to a traditional preparation, I always find something to like here.

This got me thinking about what I've posted. Some of my recipes are almost-there-but-not-quite, and others might be something that only I would like. But, I am really proud of some of them. So THAT got me thinking about what my Best Recipe Ever is.

I am, of course, asking for all of you to do the same: narrow your repertoire down to a single best recipe. I don't want to see a top 5. That's why this is so difficult. I realize that what you think is your best recipe today might not be your best tomorrow, but please give it a try. Besides being a fun challenge, this will effectively create something really cool:

A Cookingbites Cookbook!

Please do try to pick a best recipe, even if you have 5 that you love equally. I don't want to hear "I can't decide...all my recipes are great!" or "I can't decide...all my recipes are terrible!" Try your best!

PLEASE DON'T POST THE ENTIRE RECIPE HERE! If it's posted somewhere already, link to it. If it's not posted anywhere yet, then what are you waiting for: post it in the appropriate forum so we can all enjoy it!

In picking your best recipe, please keep in mind that it's not necessarily:
  • the one that required the most time or expense to make
  • the one that required the most finesse
  • the one you make the most often
  • the one that's gotten the most raves from people
  • the prettiest recipe
What is the best recipe I've ever made? I had some that I have really loved. I would have said that my beef bourguignon recipe was probably my best preparation until recently, but it's hard to say that a classic dish like this is MY best recipe. Instead, that honor belongs to:

Roasted Garlic Soup

43892445-7265-4e78-9905-447decc7df32-jpeg-jpg.jpg

There are garlic soup recipes out there, but none of them are quite like the way I made it (some only roast part of the garlic, and cream is almost universally used...I used bread as a thickener). This did require a lot of work to pull off, but I still have happy memories of eating it. After making it the first time, I immediately made it again.

Have to ask. There's a recipe I made from a cookbook that was probably the best thing I've ever eaten. Then, there's a recipe I came up with after watching a TV show and seeing it made that's probably the second best thing I've ever eaten. So, which would qualify or would neither since the original idea wasn't mine?

The best thing I make because it's an all time fave here chicken croquettes, a mix of two recipes I have tweaked after 40 plus years. I have around 35 in the freezer. The thing most if not all ask for as an entree for a main are my croquettes. Sometimes we will have two to three for a quick meal.
These are also loved by ALL the grandkids.

As a meal as in a whole meal, my loved lamb chop casserole. Melt in the mouth stuff with mash spuds.

Russ

Have to ask. There's a recipe I made from a cookbook that was probably the best thing I've ever eaten. Then, there's a recipe I came up with after watching a TV show and seeing it made that's probably the second best thing I've ever eaten. So, which would qualify or would neither since the original idea wasn't mine?

You can use whatever criteria you think is appropriate. It doesn’t bother me if it’s not 100% your invention. If my previous best weren’t such an iconic recipe, I probably would have said that. But, that’s just me. I’m much more interested in a singular best recipe from everyone, regardless of what it is.

My best recipe is the one I haven't done yet, the next one, the one that I will brainstorm and create for the first time. My best recipe is at the moment - only imagined.

Recipe - Milanese saffron risotto

I consider it my best recipe ever. For me it is the perfect combination of what I like to eat and what I can make better. I have a real passion for rice and I love risotto more than pasta. It is traditional of Milan, my city, and I make it the way I was taught in the trattorias of the old Milan and Brianza area by using marrow, which together with saffron gives it a comforting taste. Creamy but not too much, just like a risotto should be. I am proud of it.

I've been brain-panning* this one, and I just can't come up with a good answer.

There are definitely favorites of mine, last-meal-before-execution sorts of things, and as I consider those, I note that exactly none of them are complex; not in ingredients, not in preparation, and not in taste. Just good, old-fashioned comfort food.

I'd go as far to say, they're so much a standard, I don't know if I'd ever serve them to guests - they're not outwardly impressive, and I'd always be concerned that guests would leave the table whispering, "He's supposed to be a good cook and he served us meatloaf. Anyone can make meatloaf!"

I know there's this difference between what a professional cook makes in a restaurant and what they make for themselves at home when no one's looking, and it feels a little like that, that those comfort food dishes wouldn't get any respect.

In the interest of contributing a recipe, though, I'll keep thinking on it, and get one posted at some point.

*I used to work with a guy who had a thousand-and-one quirky little sayings, and my favorite was "Let me brain-pan that," or "I brain-panned that," meaning he was thinking or had thought about something. It always made me giggle.

I've been brain-panning* this one, and I just can't come up with a good answer.

There are definitely favorites of mine, last-meal-before-execution sorts of things, and as I consider those, I note that exactly none of them are complex; not in ingredients, not in preparation, and not in taste. Just good, old-fashioned comfort food.

I'd go as far to say, they're so much a standard, I don't know if I'd ever serve them to guests - they're not outwardly impressive, and I'd always be concerned that guests would leave the table whispering, "He's supposed to be a good cook and he served us meatloaf. Anyone can make meatloaf!"

I know there's this difference between what a professional cook makes in a restaurant and what they make for themselves at home when no one's looking, and it feels a little like that, that those comfort food dishes wouldn't get any respect.

In the interest of contributing a recipe, though, I'll keep thinking on it, and get one posted at some point.

*I used to work with a guy who had a thousand-and-one quirky little sayings, and my favorite was "Let me brain-pan that," or "I brain-panned that," meaning he was thinking or had thought about something. It always made me giggle.

My beef and vegetable soup is pretty basic comfort food. I love it, everyone I share it with loves it, and that's why I posted it in this thread.

CD

There are a few, but my problem with home cooking stuff is I hardly ever document. For work stuff it's imperative, but I rarely take the time at home.

I was the same until my daughter told me I need to write them down for the future. I understand her so I put all my good stuff in a folder, one for her and one for me. My wife doesn't cook , my son is slowly trying. I guess leaving something behind is good.

Russ

I was the same until my daughter told me I need to write them down for the future. I understand her so I put all my good stuff in a folder, one for her and one for me. My wife doesn't cook , my son is slowly trying. I guess leaving something behind is good.

Russ
I can certainly understand that. I was grateful my mother did that and from time to time, I'll pull something from her book to work on, both for nostalgia and deliciousness. If I had kids I'd probably be more diligent about it and would certainly make for a fun project.

I can certainly understand that. I was grateful my mother did that and from time to time, I'll pull something from her book to work on, both for nostalgia and deliciousness. If I had kids I'd probably be more diligent about it and would certainly make for a fun project.

I have nothing from my mums. They were prolly thrown out after her death. I did enjoy putting it together for my daughter.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom