What is your current "read"?

I get mainly audiobooks these days, either bought or from our local library. I prefer crime, historical fiction (such as the Shardlake or Giordano Bruno books), or a good horror story (such as ones by Shaun Hutson). Most of the Stephen King books bore me half to death, and I've only actually managed to finish two of them (Christine and Misery).

At the moment I am actually reading a proper book - The Snowman by Jo Nesbo. This one's a paperback and the print is a bit larger than average. I've got all 11 of his Harry Hole books, and the first two and the next four are audiobooks.

I've just started reading "The Thirst" ebook. Jo's number 11 HH I think.

These two...

20170527_131616.jpg 20170527_131607.jpg

I am not entirely sure if he is a genius or in need of help :laugh: eitherway some of his stuff is cracking. The Green Mile is 1 of the most amazing books I have ever read, then I watched the film which left me in a flood of tears amazing piece of work.
I'd forgotten that he wrote "The Green Mile". Yes, wonderful drama - I saw the film. I also watched parts of "Carrie" and "Christine" through my fingers on the nights my hubby watched them. I don't handle the thriller/horror genre well. Watched Poltergeist when it first came out and I still have nightmares...

Have you read the Jack Daniels series by JA Konrath?
No, I never heard of them or the author. So...off to Google I went. Konrath is a "fiction writer working in the mystery, thriller, and horror genres". Thriller? Horror? Those aren't my go-to style of books (see above "Poltergeist" comment"). Goodreads refers to the "Jack" Daniels series as "occasionally amusing and often frightening". OFTEN frightening? Even if one of the conditions of reading the books was an ever-present glass of Jack Daniels, let's just say I'm a Bourbon, not Tennessee, kind of girl. :wink:

I'd forgotten that he wrote "The Green Mile". Yes, wonderful drama - I saw the film. I also watched parts of "Carrie" and "Christine" through my fingers on the nights my hubby watched them. I don't handle the thriller/horror genre well. Watched Poltergeist when it first came out and I still have nightmares...

I would like to see the new version of 'IT' but it would have to be at home, no way would I watch that at the cinema.

Never seen poltergeist and don't want to, not my cup of tea.

We have a copy of Sapiens, which is basically about the beginning of the human race, deep so really looking forward to making a start.

We have a copy of Sapiens, which is basically about the beginning of the human race, deep so really looking forward to making a start.

Hmmm. You mean the book by Yuval Noah Harari? I confess that I have had a couple of goes at it and have been defeated both times. I keep telling myself I'll get through it, but I keep getting waylaid by other things. Understand, there is a great deal of fascination in it and some things that really challenge your existing view of things. Did humankind domesticate wheat? Looking dispassionately at the numbers and at the realities of experience, there is a strong case to say, it was wheat that domesticated humankind. A lot of rubbish? Read the book.

No, I never heard of them or the author. So...off to Google I went. Konrath is a "fiction writer working in the mystery, thriller, and horror genres". Thriller? Horror? Those aren't my go-to style of books (see above "Poltergeist" comment"). Goodreads refers to the "Jack" Daniels series as "occasionally amusing and often frightening". OFTEN frightening? Even if one of the conditions of reading the books was an ever-present glass of Jack Daniels, let's just say I'm a Bourbon, not Tennessee, kind of girl. :wink:
Ok then I take back my recommendation. Oh and Jack Daniels is the protagonist. I forgot he does get graphic in his murder scenes.
Here is another name to avoid: Jack Kilborn. He makes Stephen King look tame.

I found out last night that the Joanne Fluke mystery I had wasn't the next one in line. Apparently I've missed a few murders since the last time I read one of her books. No problem, I started the James Patterson book, "The Murder of King Tut". Really good - I managed to keep my eyes open and my head up for nearly half the book until the birds started chirping. If I start reading early enough today, I might be able to finish it off before dawn!

I found out last night that the Joanne Fluke mystery I had wasn't the next one in line. Apparently I've missed a few murders since the last time I read one of her books. No problem, I started the James Patterson book, "The Murder of King Tut". Really good - I managed to keep my eyes open and my head up for nearly half the book until the birds started chirping. If I start reading early enough today, I might be able to finish it off before dawn!

Blimey - I just looked up Joanne Fluke and there is a kindle download - a checklist and reading order - an exhaustive list of her books.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Joanne-Flu...8&qid=1496005365&sr=8-9&keywords=Joanna+Fluke

Anyway - I know now what you meant about recipes/food included and cozy mystery. I think they might be a bit too fluffy for me - I prefer a bit of grit. But if I can find one at a reasonable price I will give it ago.

Have you checked the library to see if they are available through them? Most every fiction book I read is from the library. Some are available as e-books, others are print only

I enjoy the fluffy mysteries. Far too much grit on the daily news. After a half hour of violence and anger (and that's just the sports segment) just to watch the weather guy or gal, I'm not interested in too many details about a murder in my books.

Back
Top Bottom