What is your current "read"?

I'm not sure that it was ever carved on his headstone.
Inscribed in Irish on his headstone is "Dúirt mé leat go raibh mé breoite" (I told you I was ill).

1599051639931.png

"I must go down to the sea again,
to the lonely sea and the sky;
I left my shoes and socks there -
I wonder if they're dry?"

I wasn't wrong when I said that Agatha Christie would be a fix for my reading slump. Last night I was up until 2AM finishing my book I had to know who was the killer. I don't usually stay up this late not even if I'm out drinking.

On to the next one
1599325214314.png

I wasn't wrong when I said that Agatha Christie would be a fix for my reading slump. Last night I was up until 2AM finishing my book I had to know who was the killer. I don't usually stay up this late not even if I'm out drinking.

On to the next one
View attachment 45995

Methinks you may not be up until 2 am reading that one (interesting as it may be). :)

Finished Middle Eastern Mythology and it was really good. I love mythology and Sumerian, Akkadian and Babylonian mythology isn’t something you read about often.

Going through my to be read pile I realized I bought “Jane Eyre” twice :( I hate it when I do this! Now I’m starting this
1599857392471.jpeg

Finished Middle Eastern Mythology and it was really good. I love mythology and Sumerian, Akkadian and Babylonian mythology isn’t something you read about often.

Going through my to be read pile I realized I bought “Jane Eyre” twice :( I hate it when I do this! Now I’m starting this
View attachment 46251
Have you ever read The Golden Bough by James Frazer? In its full version (12 volumes!), it is an immense study of mythology, religion and folklore. These days, it's mostly published as a single volume abridged work, albeit still a long one. Many 20th century novelists have cited it as an inspiration. I read it several years ago and found it endlessly fascinating.

Duck59 no I haven't, thank you for the tip, seems interesting! Is it too focused on religion? I didn't enjoy the last chapters of "Middle Eastern Mythology" due to all the Hebrew mythology and its connections to the Bible.

Duck59 no I haven't, thank you for the tip, seems interesting! Is it too focused on religion? I didn't enjoy the last chapters of "Middle Eastern Mythology" due to all the Hebrew mythology and its connections to the Bible.
Not excessively, in my view - it's more about traditional folklore. Religion is just part of the whole thing and there's a lot about myths, rituals, superstitions and that kind of thing. Indeed, one might argue that religion comes into the whole category of myth and superstition. The single-volume book is widely available. The Penguin or Oxford World's Classics versions are a good option.

MypinchofItaly have you read Elena Ferrante? The Neapolitan Novels are one of my favorite series. I'm looking forward to read her new book, I think it will be on my Christmas presents list

I acquired a copy of John Updike's Rabbit omnibus, containing the first three novels. They are ten years apart and I'm on the second one right now.

There's a couple of odd things, which may be deliberate on the author's part. The hero, Harry Angstrom (hmm, bit of a hint of trauma in that name) was known as Rabbit in his teens, but nobody called him that as an adult. However, the narrator refers to him as Rabbit all the way through. Also, despite the cuddly-sounding nickname, he's not a particularly pleasant character. He runs out on his pregnant wife to have an affair, then returns to her, but beats her up when she dares to have an affair some time later. He's also pretty bigoted.

In truth, I'm still not quite sure what to make of it all. Updike is a fine descriptive writer, but I find it somewhat uncomfortable reading. But maybe that's the whole point.

Back
Top Bottom