What is your favorite sausage? Do you make it yourself?

Meerkat80

Veteran
Local time
1:49 AM
I love sausages and even making them at home. Here in South Africa there are many types, but definitely the most popular is the 'Boerewors' (translates to Farmer's Sausage) which is made from lean beef, pork fat and a some spices with distinct coriander and clove notes.

I would love to hear what everyone else prepares.

I have made it myself and it is delicious - its all in how much fennel that is put into it. I have no real preference with sausage because I hardly ever eat it.

My favorite is Kielbasa, although I don't really know what's in it. Most I could do is guess that there's probably some coconut in there, so obviously, I don't make it myself and I don't think I'd ever attempt it because the professionals already do it well enough and I'm not sure I could add much more to it anyway. I use it for a lot of my meals, though, but it is pretty expensive and probably fatty too, so I try to only binge once in a while.

I mainly eat Italian Sausage, because my family is Italian, but they are also pretty fond of Kielbasa as well, especially when cooked with kraut and potatoes. Personally I love pretty much all sausages, and would love to invest in a meat grinder and sausage maker, so I can start making some of my own. I've tried making it myself just by hand with a package of pre-ground pork, and the flavor was OK (it was a recipe for breakfast sausage) but the texture was way too dense, and overall the color of it was kind of odd, since I used a finely ground sage which gave it a greenish cast, instead of just minced sage, which would have just given it flecks of green, like the sausage I get from the stores.

On that same note, if I do invest in this equipment I would also like to start making my own hot dogs as well. I saw some recipes on youtube and they looked pretty dooable to me.

I'm more of the "never the one favorite" sausage eater, since I generally like all types of sausages - especially if they're in a sandwich. Unfortunately, I don't consider myself that skilled to be able to make my own sausage that is worth eating, haha.

My favorite is vienna sausages either pork or chicken. It is not salty and had a simple taste only. I always used this when cooking my chicken soup, chicken casserole and spaghetti sauce.

Last edited:
Although I am curious - it's the first time I've ever heard that we're capable of making our own sausages. This is something that surprised me, and it's a new thing I've learned today.

Is there an easy "homemade sausage" recipe for beginners like me?

I am really particular about sausages and , funnily enough, my mother and I were discussing this earlier. Before my grandparents died we used to meet after Sunday morning church service and have a full breakfast together. The sausages my grandma had bought that week were always the main topic of conversation around the table. Personally, I do not tend to like most packages sausages bought in the supermarket. I much prefer the ones sold by my local butcher. They make them using meat from their own farms and offer lots of different varieties of pork sausages- such as pork with apple/ with black pudding/ with chilli.

Chorizo de bilbao is described as a "spicy, succulent" sausage. It's Spanish, I believe, and very high in oils and salts. I like to add that to my family recipe for tomato sauce and meatballs.

Vienna sausages are less tough, I like how soft and dainty they are, and have them on toast with egg almost like a spread.

I guess I like them intensely flavorful, not so much the ones with bulk...although, I do enjoy a large Frankfurter, too!

As for ones I make myself... This one isn't the sort of sausage that you put in an intestine, it's a breakfast sausage that can be made into patties.

500 grams lean ground pork
1 Tbsp sage
1/2 Tbsp thyme
1/2 Tbsp marjoram
2 Tbsp (or more) brown sugar
1 egg
salt (to taste)
pepper (to taste)

Mix all the ingredients together, mold into patties, and pan-fry or roast.

Last edited:
Chorizo de bilbao is described as a "spicy, succulent" sausage. It's Spanish, I believe, and very high in oils and salts. I like to add that to my family recipe for tomato sauce and meatballs.

Vienna sausages are less tough, I like how soft and dainty they are, and have them on toast with egg almost like a spread.

I guess I like them intensely flavorful, not so much the ones with bulk...although, I do enjoy a large Frankfurter, too!

As for ones I make myself... This one isn't the sort of sausage that you put in an intestine, it's a breakfast sausage that can be made into patties.
Whoa, this is interesting. Looking at the ingredients themselves makes it look good. Although I think it'd take some practice before I'd be able to make something that is actually "party-worthy," in my case haha.

Is it proper for me to say that we can experiment with sausage recipes to make a "homemade" sausage that we really like? I'm rather reluctant on experimenting with new kinds of food (and trying new techniques), haha.

The sausages in the recipe are easy, don't worry! Of course you can adjust the herbs and spices to your taste.

What I've never tried before is making sausages in an intestine, which I imagine involves curing and salting and maybe other strange techniques before frying it up. The recipe that I provided, on the other hand, is basically a hamburger but without the "bulk" of breadcrumbs--easy. :)

I don't make my sausages but I would like to someday. My preference are spicy link sausages. When I was growing up, the local butcher sold a Texas hot link made with lean beef and pork, casing, and lots of spices. Since then, I have tried meatless spicy and other variations. When cooking entrees, I use a chicken Andouille since it's spicy and low in fat.

I Iike the turkey sausage, both the sweet and the hot. Generally I don't eat a lot of sausage but from time to time I do like to cook with it, especially when I am making soups or sauces. The flavor of the turkey sausage is really the same as anything else I have ever tried.

Some time ago I tried to take a shortcut on foot going home and found this little Chinese grocery store nearby. It had Lap Chong sausages, which reminded me that they're another one of my favorites!

(Unless I'm thinking of another type of Chinese pork sausage that happens to look the same because they're both made out of pork. That Xiang Chang sausages' sweetness bore mention on the Wikipedia page suggests that I might be thinking of that instead, but now I know where to get this... expect recipe threads about them in the near future!)

My favorite is Kielbasa, but I never really thought of making it on my own. It just seems like too much effort, but I don't really mind paying up for it at the grocery anyway. I also like Chinese Chorizo which is great to mix with white rice. It makes for a very easy meal for when I'm feeling very lazy.

Back
Top Bottom