What is your favourite cooked green vegetable?

What is your favourite cooked green vegetable?

• Asparagus

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Broccoli

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Brussels Sprouts

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Cabbage

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Courgettes (Zucchini)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kale

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Leeks

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Okra

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Peas

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Spinach

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters
Collard greens? No mustard greens? My problem with both of those is that my grandmother cooked them, and cooked them, and about 10 hours later they were a vile mush. Okay maybe it wasn't 10 hours. But still they were WAYYYY overcooked. I do like some greens and cornbread from time to time, but puhlease!

Not the ones I get... I cut about an inch or so off the stem, that's all and peel the stem at the base (that's mainly for appearance). These were perfectly tender. I find the microwave cooks asparagus to perfection (3 mins).

View attachment 41748
Lovely.

Maybe it's a subtle nuance of flavor that I prefer? Perhaps the young pencil thin ones are slightly sweeter? Or maybe it's all in my head. Dunno.

Collard greens? No mustard greens? My problem with both of those is that my grandmother cooked them, and cooked them, and about 10 hours later they were a vile mush. Okay maybe it wasn't 10 hours. But still they were WAYYYY overcooked. I do like some greens and cornbread from time to time, but puhlease!

Lol, my mum used to "boil the guts" out of veges as well. I hated veges as a kid.

Russ

My mother, OTOH, barely cooked things. I mean she was really busy with work, and I was fine with fresh veggies not being cooked all the way for the most part. However, there were quite a bit of canned items. Yuk.

I love fresh seared Brussels sprouts with bacon and onion, yum! I never had that growing up1

Lovely.

Maybe it's a subtle nuance of flavor that I prefer? Perhaps the young pencil thin ones are slightly sweeter? Or maybe it's all in my head. Dunno.

More likely to do with how fresh they are. You can buy asparagus all year round in the UK but the best is when its home grown in the asparagus season (now!) and hasn't traveled air miles. The rest is imported.

Can't really find mustard greens here. The way we cook them, they aren't mush.

More likely to do with how fresh they are. You can buy asparagus all year round in the UK but the best is when its home grown in the asparagus season (now!) and hasn't traveled air miles. The rest is imported.

I notice you peeled your thick asparagus, as a lot of people do. Yours may have been relatively tender, but I find that thick asparagus usually has a tough skin. I do have to cut or break of the bottom of the skinny asparagus -- seems universal no matter the size. But, I never peel them. I can eat them raw, and they are tender.

We can get asparagus pretty much all year. Thank you, California!

CD

Asparagus, Okra, Spinach. I wanted to add Leeks but I had to pick three.

Add in Artichokes, Collards, Swiss Chard.

Asparagus: I like the thin ones.
Okra: Pan fried NO breading. Or in an Indian curry. Or, pickled.
Spinach: Useful in so many ways! Best just lightly wilted for omelets or poached eggs Florentine, but in something like spanakopita or lasagna, the frozen is awesome.

My least favorite on your list is Zucchini/Courgettes, but they can be cooked into foods in moderation and still taste great. I have also made good dehydrated zucchini chips.

My least favorite on your list is Zucchini/Courgettes, but they can be cooked into foods in moderation and still taste great. I have also made good dehydrated zucchini chips.

Me too - and interestingly no-one has voted for them. There is one way I like courgettes - baked until the skin blackens and then made into a smoky (and very low cal) dip. I think I posted the recipe somewhere.

Not sure I agree - but maybe the frozen spinach you get is better than here. I don't mind it but as fresh is easily available in supermarkets I generally use that.

Yes, I really do MUCH prefer to use fresh spinach in those other applications, but since I'm not going to outright supermarkets for some reason right now - I will deal with the frozen.

But on the other hand ... I am growing some of my own in my veggie garden! Getting closer in size!

Can't really find mustard greens here. The way we cook them, they aren't mush.

Mustard greens are great... I used to grow them in Connecticut. They'd essentially take over the bed each year. I may find a place for them up here next year. However I consider them a salad, not a cooking green. (Okay, some ended up in stir fries, not being added until the last minutes.)

Back
Top Bottom