What kind of jobs have you had? What did/do you like about them?

I declined to apply for a job at Revlon where I would have to apply toxins to live rabbit eyes, for the sake of developing - make-up. This might be a major reason I don't wear the stuff.... Medicines are essential. Make-up is NOT. Every woman is pretty enough without! Hmm, I guess a theme from earlier? At any rate, Mom was extremely unhappy that I refused to apply for the position.)

Good for you. I've always felt that animal testing should be reserved for finding a cure for cancer, or something else very serious -- and that everything possible should be done to make the animals as comfortable as possible, and not in pain.

CD

Good for you. I've always felt that animal testing should be reserved for finding a cure for cancer, or something else very serious -- and that everything possible should be done to make the animals as comfortable as possible, and not in pain.

CD
In the EU, it's illegal to sell products that have been tested in animals (the exception being pharmaceutical products). Even if the product is made elsewhere, it can't be sold in the EU if it's been tested in animals.

Last edited:
In the EU, it's illegal to sell products that have been tested in animals (the exception being pharmaceutical products). Even if the product is made elsewhere, it can be sold in the EU if it's been tested in animals.
I assume you meant CAN'T? Good.

I am always amused here in the US when I see some companies here stating "this product has not been tested on animals" when I know very well that such and such ingredients HAVE been tested on animals. NOT by the company selling it, but they bought the license to put the stuff in their own products.

I assume you meant CAN'T? Good.

I am always amused here in the US when I see some companies here stating "this product has not been tested on animals" when I know very well that such and such ingredients HAVE been tested on animals. NOT by the company selling it, but they bought the license to put the stuff in their own products.
Thank you, just corrected the typo.

Those sound like good jobs. It is wonderful how much you were able to help.
I studied piano and music. My jobs were both music-related and non-music related. Office admin jobs, translating and then teaching and performing music. Volunteering for free concerts (playing and reciting poetry) was a thing I did in the past, even founded a non profit for it. That lasted several years. Briefly volunteered in an animal rescue center. Applied to volunteer for homeless, but Covid prevented it.

Loved the learning in them all. Love performing. And love the passing on knowledge to students.
I played the clarinet and piano. I haven't done either in ages though. I absolutely LOVE music and live performances.

It must have been a blast to do something you love so much. Cool!

Hopefully, things will settle down after COVID and we can all get back to some kind of normalcy soon. Hang in there. We're all in it together.

My first job was in the butcher dept. of a grocery store. The butcher was a wise ass. He showed me how to tell if a piece of beef liver was good by flinging a thick slice of it to the ceiling where it stuck. He said if it stuck there for at least 5 minutes, it was good. He also made a phallic symbol out of beef bones and placed it in the meat case. The manager got several complaints.

I went to a college that offered an AS in Underwater Technology (commercial diving). If they had offered a BS, I would have taken the extra 2 years. I worked for a small company out of Harvey, LA until the oil industry in the Gulf basically collapsed due to cheap Middle Eastern oil, (mid '70s. The only other choice was the North Sea, where they were losing divers about once a week. Not for me. I hooked up with a salvage operator, from which I was able to take a PADI Instructor course. I then taught recreational scuba, up to the instructor level. My exploits can be found in this thread, Sea Stories
I've been involved in recreational diving in some fashion ever since as well as breathing gas systems ever since.

• My first job was delivering newspapers before school from my bicycle when I was 11. My family didn't have much money, so it was nice to have some extra cash.
  • I worked at a pizza place when I was in college. I paid my way through college that way (something you can't do these days due to insane tuition rates).
  • I wanted a job with a newspaper, as a writer, but there simply weren't any available. So, I pivoted, and took a job as a technical writer with a defense contractor. I was writing operator and repair manuals for military vehicles, mostly trucks.
    • I would write up the procedure, then we'd try it out in our garage. Once we were confident in the procedure, we'd validate it at the Tank Automotive Command (TACOM), a military facility that's part of the military's supply chain. They would use the smartest mechanics, but then often change the procedures because "the average mechanic couldn't have figured it out."
    • TACOM often had different vehicles in the garage. I would occasionally see M1 tanks parked....the powertrain is modular with quick-disconnects, so they can remove it all in the field easily and replace if needed. They can replace the entire powertrain in a matter of minutes.
    • One time, they had a Soviet tank in the garage (I think it was a T-72), and someone decided to start it up. The entire building filled with smoke almost immediately! I was lucky to be near an exit....everyone evacuated for the rest of the day.
  • When I was 23, I found myself needing some extra cash, so I took on a newspaper route again. I forgot how much I hated it. I had to get up at 4:00 a.m. to get the newspapers ready (they needed a rubber band, and had to be bagged if there was a chance of rain). I delivered papers before work for 3 weeks, then quit.
  • After working at 2 defense contractors for the first 4 years out of college, I got a job at Ford as a technical writer. After a few years, I started doing project control work, which I've been doing to this day.
Funny how the job I've been doing the longest (32 years at Ford) took me 2 sentences to summarize.

I played the clarinet and piano. I haven't done either in ages though.
My Goodness, clarinet is so cool, and much more difficult to play than the piano...yes, this too shall pass, nicely said! Performances require a lot of practise, preparation and energy, so in the current job circumstances, non-school related concerts I can picture only during the summer break...but I am not fixated on concerts, I had so many different phases of a frenetic active search for concerts and also did organize quite a few serious concerts...but now, my energy level has dropped significantly for such undertakings...as they were mostly udnerpaid or unpaid, and up to a point it is wonderful, and one does not care, but now with a child, and quite some experience and insight, it is not the same.:)

started my own business
Forgot to mention I had my own business too, for several years, and closed down, and reopened a new one in 2019, will close off this June. A piano teaching studio, including workshops...very simple, micro enterpreneurial subject.

Most of the time I had two jobs in parallel, the office job at the lawyer's office was parallel to the building up of the piano studio...there was a span of a year or two, when my business was the sole provider in the family.

Amazing ups and downs, for stability I applied for and was taken to the current piano teacher job at a state school 4 years ago...

Did not mention all the jobs and the funny stories, I have enjoyed your stories tremendously! Wow and wow. I am a storytelling fan I suppose!

My first job was in the butcher dept. of a grocery store. The butcher was a wise ass. He showed me how to tell if a piece of beef liver was good by flinging a thick slice of it to the ceiling where it stuck. He said if it stuck there for at least 5 minutes, it was good. He also made a phallic symbol out of beef bones and placed it in the meat case. The manager got several complaints.

I went to a college that offered an AS in Underwater Technology (commercial diving). If they had offered a BS, I would have taken the extra 2 years. I worked for a small company out of Harvey, LA until the oil industry in the Gulf basically collapsed due to cheap Middle Eastern oil, (mid '70s. The only other choice was the North Sea, where they were losing divers about once a week. Not for me. I hooked up with a salvage operator, from which I was able to take a PADI Instructor course. I then taught recreational scuba, up to the instructor level. My exploits can be found in this thread, Sea Stories
I've been involved in recreational diving in some fashion ever since as well as breathing gas systems ever since.
Good to see you active Craig, doing what you love is really rewarding, and being paid a bonus. I'm not a fan of water, nearly drowned when I was about 12 at a rugby Xmas picnic.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom