what level of ripeness do you like in a banana?

I prefer tostones. I always make them with Cuban roast pork, with black beans and rice.

CD
Don't forget the mojo! Love the mojo made with fresh sour orange juice. I actually use it as the marinade for my Cuban pork roast. Also use it in a Cuban style pork pot roast along with some chicken or vege broth or water so you'll have enough liquid. I also use sour orange juice in my achiote paste mix for Cochinita Pibil.
We used to go to a Cuban place that sliced their plantains for tostones lengthwise, very thinly and served them with a lime based mojo sauce.

Don't forget the mojo! Love the mojo made with fresh sour orange juice. I actually use it as the marinade for my Cuban pork roast. Also use it in a Cuban style pork pot roast along with some chicken or vege broth or water so you'll have enough liquid. I also use sour orange juice in my achiote paste mix for Cochinita Pibil.
We used to go to a Cuban place that sliced their plantains for tostones lengthwise, very thinly and served them with a lime based mojo sauce.

I marinate my pork in a mojo, but I have to improvise, as sour orange is just not available here -- at least not that I have been able to find.

I have seen the long-sliced tostones before, but never had them.

As for ripeness, I've made tostones both ways, depending on what was in the store that day. I like them when they are mostly green, with some brown/black just starting to appear.

You are fortunate in South Florida to have plenty of cuban ingredients that I don't have in North Texas.

CD

When it starts to develop brown spots. Too brown, I then make banana bread. Be careful tough. If they're way too far overripe, then tiny flies will develop, & they'll be all over the house!! I had to get 2 bug zappers to get rid of them all!!! I think they are all gone now!!! I don't hear them popping now!! :whistling:

Last edited:
I marinate my pork in a mojo, but I have to improvise, as sour orange is just not available here -- at least not that I have been able to find.

As for ripeness, I've made tostones both ways, depending on what was in the store that day. I like them when they are mostly green, with some brown/black just starting to appear.

You are fortunate in South Florida to have plenty of cuban ingredients that I don't have in North Texas.

CD
I bet the number of Cuban places here are probably close to the number of Tex-Mex places in your area. Have you ever had Mofongo? The ones I know are a Puerto Rican style. How about "Pastelon"? I think there are many versions of "Pastelon" in latin Caribbean cuisines.

CD
Kirby, Goya and Badia sell bottled naranja agria. It's usually in the same area as the BBQ sauces in the grocery store.

When it starts to develop brown spots. Too brown, I then make banana bread. Be careful tough. If they're way too far overripe, then tiny flies will develop, & they'll be all over the house!! I had to get 2 bug zappers to get rid of them all!!! I think they are all gone now!!! I don't hear them popping now!! :whistling: View attachment 89205
We used to keep poison dart frogs (arrow frogs), which are not toxic in captivity. Had to raise fruit flys to feed them. The frogs acquire the toxin from some insects they eat in the wild, which fruit flys do not have. The frogs look like they were painted in various colors, some of which looked like neon. their skin felt like cool patent leather. No bug zapper needed.

I bet the number of Cuban places here are probably close to the number of Tex-Mex places in your area. Have you ever had Mofongo? The ones I know are a Puerto Rican style. How about "Pastelon"? I think there are many versions of "Pastelon" in latin Caribbean cuisines.

My parents lived in Puerto Rico when I was in college. That's where I got my taste for Cuban/Puerto Rican food. Mofongo is on my cooking "to do" list.

CD

Have you ever had Mofongo?

Fried green plantains, garlic, pork crackling (chicharrón). What´s not to like about that?
As for Pastelón, that´s very Puerto Rico/Dominican Republic. Doesn´t filter down to Venezuela/Colombia, as far as I know - although we´ve got things like "pastel de plátano"

In the '70's and '80's, some imported bananas came with passengers like eyelash vipers, scorpions and spiders which got through inspections at the ports of entry here in the states. A friend acquired many eyelash vipers for his collection. The inspectors knew to call him when they ran across them.

a green banana has that astringent thing going on with my tongue. no thanks.

Back
Top Bottom