What made you smile recently (2024)?

What is yours?
We probably have a few, but the one I’m most familiar with is an older man, probably late ‘60’s, who hangs out at McD’s, talking to all the customers. I’ve never seen him order anything.

His favorite subjects are “the government” (against), “God” (for), and the upcoming civil-religious war, which will be worldwide, not just in the US, and it’s going to be worse than anyone could imagine, but we asked for it, behaving like we do, so you just sit there and eat that cheeseburger like everything’s a-ok, my friend…

IMG_20240419_214320_290.jpg

Being stupid probably but I don't understand this.
First, you’re not stupid, you’re whip-smart! 🤓

This has a very local connection to the part of Ohio in which I live - sort of a sub-dialect of SW Ohio: common name for a wash cloth/face cloth/flannel here is “wash rag,” and it’s pretty common to hear “wash” pronounced with an intrusive “r” in the middle…”warsh” (or perhaps more accurately spelled as “worsch”).

It struck me as funny to see a very specific accent showing up on a “Meme of the Day” topic elsewhere, as well as the very romantic picture coupled with a decidedly unromantic phrase - usually, when someone says, “Your accent is so beautiful,” it’s French or Italian or Spanish, not someone from Ohio saying, “Warsh rag!” :laugh:

BTW, we also say “feesch” instead of “fish.”

is the "worch" not also common to Michigan types?

my grandmother grew up around Cleveland - we always had sangwichs at her place . . .

leberwurst and ungyan - absolutely . . .
I don’t know if you ever watch America’s Test Kitchen, but Bridgette (whom MrsT refers to as “the mean one” :laugh: ) is originally from West Virginia, and her accent slides through every once in a while, and definitely when she says “onion” with a hard “g!” :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom