What made you smile recently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Two evenings ago walking in the evening around my hood, as the heat eased, I saw a tiny dog lit by "find me" lights .It was so funny seeing those tiny lights jump and make circles, go back and forth, while not seeing the actual dog in the dark.
Very energetic,and it made me smile.

Ah yes, TMAs, the problem with most companies with too many managers.

Totally Meaningless Acronyms

I already some work experience when I joined my current company, but this was the first time I was exposed to "real" business jargon and innuendos. At first, I couldn't understand a work of what people said! With time I've come to develop my own dictionary, which goes roughly as follows:

"You need to create alignment" = You need to send an email and inform others
"Adding clarity here" = Explain myself again cause you clearly didn't understand
"Could you shed clarity on..." = Couldn't understand a word you said
"Do you think you can..." = Do this, this is an order
"Would you like to..." = I want you to...
"There's no alignment here" = These people are doing the opposite of what I've told them!

:laugh:

I already some work experience when I joined my current company, but this was the first time I was exposed to "real" business jargon and innuendos. At first, I couldn't understand a work of what people said! With time I've come to develop my own dictionary, which goes roughly as follows:

"You need to create alignment" = You need to send an email and inform others
"Adding clarity here" = Explain myself again cause you clearly didn't understand
"Could you shed clarity on..." = Couldn't understand a word you said
"Do you think you can..." = Do this, this is an order
"Would you like to..." = I want you to...
"There's no alignment here" = These people are doing the opposite of what I've told them!

Ever heard of the buzzword bingo?

A nice way to spend time during boring meetings is ticking these boxes until someone shouts bingo!

With respect to management lingo, I've worked corporate for a lot of years, and what makes me laugh as much as the words themselves is the way new words ripple through and rapidly take over.

For example, we had a new mucky-muck come in, someone at a director level, so three or four spots over me, and his pet phrase was "in the barrel," as it, "let's get that in the barrel," and "so what's in the barrel," and even when it came time to go around the table at a big team meeting, he'd point at you and say, "You're in the barrel...GO!"

Sure enough, just a few days after he'd started and hosted a couple of meetings, I'd hear other people suddenly saying things like, "...so we've got to get this in the barrel before quarter-end," or "We've really go to focus...we've got a lot of stuff in the barrel right now!"

I'd laugh and think, is this some form of butt-kissing through idiom usage, like, "The new Big Boss is saying 'barrel' a lot, so I better get with the program...er, barrel!"

For example, we had a new mucky-muck come in, someone at a director level, so three or four spots over me, and his pet phrase was "in the barrel," as it, "let's get that in the barrel," and "so what's in the barrel," and even when it came time to go around the table at a big team meeting, he'd point at you and say, "You're in the barrel...GO!"

Did he mean the barrel of a gun or a whisky barrel?

Edit: Just looked it up. Apparently 'in the barrel' means an unpleasant task in urban slang.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom