What made you smile recently?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All these amenities and they still manage to have intercourse with all new guests?? Must be a well staffed hotel!
1665405035496.png

I also lean towards thinking that's fake, but back when in 2019 when I went to China, I had my share of funny translation and I stayed there for only 3 days

I lived/worked in China for a year.

I saw shed loads.

My first day of German language class, our instructor welcomed everybody, then said:

“There are 16 ways to use ‘the’ in the German language. If you can’t handle that, you need to leave now.” :laugh:
I studied German for one year at school, there is a very good reason why I did not carry on to O level with it, and you have hit on it.

Here in Berlin, they speak a very broken German in some areas, invented by Turkish immigrants. They swaped all der die das with diese. Language professors studied the new accent and came to the result, that it's far superior in terms of practicality
In the past couple of years I have visited Germany on three occasions for business, Berlin, Esslingen near Stuttgart and Bocholt near the Dutch border. In Essilngen nobody spoke English and there was great pride in their local culture, including their hatred of Stuttgart just 20km up the road. In Bocholt people spoke reasonable English and being a border town were aware of their part in a larger European community. In Berlin everyone seemed to speak English all the time, and not to foreigners but with each other, as if German was a second class language. This was strange, I sensed a willingness amongst the young to give up on their heritage. Tell me I'm wrong.

* by way of further qualification, I was on holiday in Thailand a few years ago and there were two young German couples on the next table in the bar. They talked in English, despite them all clearly being from Germany - they had the 'where are you from' conversation having just met - I got the impression they were shunning their own language to show off how educated and global they were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom