What made you smile recently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

This one makes me misty-eyed for my time living in the UK:

View attachment 92419
Ironically that is actually something I miss. We do get quite a varied sunrise sunset times here, but not as much as the north of the UK...

So in summer, it is going dark at 8:30pm and getting light around 5am... compared with Scotland 11pm and 3:30 am (summer solstice)

These are official times for where I life now and where I was born in Scotland.. these are for the solstice.

Scotland, winter (sunrise, sunset)

Scotland, summer (sunrise, sunset)

Where I now live, winter (sunrise, sunset)

Where I now live, summer (sunrise, sunset)

Ironically that is actually something I miss.
I miss it very much. It was one of those totally unexpected things that I just loved about the place.

I worked in an interior office with no windows, and I’d get to work usually before the sun was up, and I’d stay until after it went down, and I frequently didn’t leave for lunch, so I could sometimes, if I was very lucky, go an entire workweek without seeing the sun at all.

Everyone else in the office would gripe and gripe about the super-short daylight hours, but I thought it was fantastic. Summer, OTOH…not so much. :headshake:

I worked in an interior office with no windows, and I’d get to work usually before the sun was up, and I’d stay until after it went down, and I frequently didn’t leave for lunch, so I could sometimes, if I was very lucky, go an entire workweek without seeing the sun at all.

Everyone else in the office would gripe and gripe about the super-short daylight hours, but I thought it was fantastic. Summer, OTOH…not so much. :headshake:

Screen Shot 2022-11-12 at 9.52.22 PM.jpg

CD

Ours is somewhat boring.......

Yep, the closer you get to the Equator, the less variable your daylight is throughout the year. I just looked at my globe (yes, I have a globe -- a very good one), and you are a lot closer than we are in Texas. You are even with Southern Mexico.

CD

Yep, the closer you get to the Equator, the less variable your daylight is throughout the year. I just looked at my globe (yes, I have a globe -- a very good one), and you are a lot closer than we are in Texas. You are even with Southern Mexico.

CD

I've lived in Singapore so I'm no stranger to days and nights being the same length throughout the year.

I worked in an interior office with no windows, and I’d get to work usually before the sun was up, and I’d stay until after it went down, and I frequently didn’t leave for lunch, so I could sometimes, if I was very unlucky, go an entire workweek without seeing the sun at all.
Yeah, been there and done that. I actually took to photographing some fungi I found growing on my track using my car headlights for illumination because they would perish before the weekend...

I would have driven to work (+2hrs) and started work (7:30am) before the sun rose and would leave after/as it was going dark (4:30pm) only to repeat 5 days a week. No windows inside the warehouse Vodafone operated, and only time I saw daylight was if I was lucky enough to find a few minutes at lunchtime after a canteen lunch (also no windows)... I was so glad when they agreed to me working 1 day a week at home. 6 months was hard, but I was also very lucky to get a contact in Aberdeen are the height of summer for Marathon Oil... long long hours of daylight with almost no total darkness. It was twilight between 11:30pm & 3am.

I did enjoy the few occasions that we cycled in the midnight sun in Norway & Finland. That was great to do once or twice, but not too often. It made getting up in the night easier but I do distinctly remember the first night we had finally cycled far enough south that it actually went dark for a short period at night. I distinctly remember it because I hadn't taken a torch to the toilet block with me for months (literally) and on the way back I couldn't find our dark green tent in the dark... cute having to wake up hubby (and likely half the campsite) because I was afraid of tripping over the guy ropes in the dark!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom