What one thing you'd change in your kitchen?

I love dining outside, or at least sipping tea outside.

Do you dine outside? In your yard? Where your lime trees are?

I dine outside virtually every day, but on my front stoep (which is a little larger).

I'd reverse the decision I made to go with an electric cooktop instead of gas. I've regretted that since day one. Now, I'm looking forward to switching to induction, since gas is no longer an option.

CD
What about propane CD, is that an option? I have 2 portable induction burners and love them for what they do, but nothing replaces a flame, in my opinion.

What about propane CD, is that an option? I have 2 portable induction burners and love them for what they do, but nothing replaces a flame, in my opinion.

My house has gas service, but I didn't have a gas line run down to the kitchen, and now it is virtually impossible to run a line down there. Houses here don't have basements (shifting ground issues), so running new water or gas lines is very difficult once the house is built.

CD

I am not aware that there's any gas piped to households here in Thailand (possibly in the capital?). The majority of local houses which have kitchens keep their 15kg gas bottles inside the kitchen (under the sink or in a kitchen cupboard). Having spent 10 years of my life travelling Britain living in a mobile home, gas bottles were a necessity and they would be 47kg, far too big to be inside the home. Therefore they were kept outside.

This experience together with my fear of gas bottles anyway, led me to build a two bottle gas storage house outside the kitchen. I've not yet seen anyone with a similar one.

I am not aware that there's any gas piped to households here in Thailand (possibly in the capital?). The majority of local houses which have kitchens keep their 15kg gas bottles inside the kitchen (under the sink or in a kitchen cupboard). Having spent 10 years of my life travelling Britain living in a mobile home, gas bottles were a necessity and they would be 47kg, far too big to be inside the home. Therefore they were kept outside.

This experience together with my fear of gas bottles anyway, led me to build a two bottle gas storage house outside the kitchen. I've not yet seen anyone with a similar one.
View attachment 72231
Looks good. Yeah, not a good idea to keep propane canisters inside a house imo.

I'd love to add a balcony to my kitchen.
I'll admit, that's one answer I never would have expected. :)

Add ventilation aside from the ventilation vent. We have no windows in the kitchen, and that's definitely not ideal.
That's another thing I'd change. This is the first time I've had a kitchen without a proper exhaust. It just blows everything right back into the kitchen, so there's no point in even having it.

I'll admit, that's one answer I never would have expected. :)

That's another thing I'd change. This is the first time I've had a kitchen without a proper exhaust. It just blows everything right back into the kitchen, so there's no point in even having it.
Our kitchen is surrounded only by internal walls, and one wall connected to our neighbours so unfortunately we're stuck here

I've an induction cook top with capacitate controls and they have to be the great pain in the backside!!!!!!
You put something down on the flat surface (controls) and you end up accidentally turning on a ring, so annoying.

I want knobs.

I actually bought my house based on the fact that I fell in love with the kitchen lol!
As a result, I wouldn't change much except:
  • Would like a single large sink instead of a divided sink.
  • Would like an industrial extractor fan that vents to outside of house. The range hood "vents" that most modern houses come with only recirculates the air. I want to punch a hole through the wall above&behind the stove and stick a powerful fan there so no smoke or smells from my open kitchen invade the rest of my house.

I'd like to add a pantry. I grew up with one and several of my homes over the years have had them but this one does not. I find them very useful. The result has been that food has made its way into the mud room for storage in 2 areas of the mud room and you have to go through the laundry room first to get to the mud room. Plus the mud room gets very hot in the summer so we have to be careful about what finds its way that way in summer.

We also use the counter space in the mudroom for additional worktop space to have the breadmaker, the dehydrator and the new ice machine (needed because of my operation).

The only other option i'd love would be the option to catch greywater and divert it to the garden instead of the current solution which is a Flexi-tub on the floor which I periodically empty. Diverting washing machine water directly onto the garden as well would be exceptionally useful. *All my grey water is garden friendly and safe to use over herbs and veg as well as flowers etc.

I´d get rid of the awful, uncontrollable, nasty, foul, disgusting electric cooker and install a gas one.
Is it obvious I don´t like electric cookers? :eek: :eek: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'd prefer a gas stove also, but the apartments are all-electric with electric stoves, so we have no choice but to be stuck with them. :unsure:

Back
Top Bottom