What one vegetable do you dislike the most?

Maybe, just maybe, different people have different taste buds.
Wouldn't it be boring if we all liked the same things! More convenient, maybe. Mr K prefers mushy peas and I prefer garden peas. Neither of us like celery or avocado but would eat them if served.

Once again technically correct, but you cannot substitute corn for hominy in menudo. There is a major difference.
Now I' m confused. I wrote corn or maize because I thought corn and maize were the same thing. :scratchhead:

Maize (/ˈmeɪz/ mayz; Zea mays subsp. mays, from Spanish: maíz after Taíno mahiz), also known as corn, is a large grain plant first domesticated by indigenous peoples in Mexico[1] about 10,000 years ago. The six major types of corn are dent corn, flint corn, pod corn, popcorn, flour corn, and sweet corn.[2]

The leafy stalk of the plant produces separate pollen and ovuliferous inflorescences or ears, which are fruits, yielding kernels (often erroneously called seeds). Maize kernels are often used in cooking as a starch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maize

I thought hominy was made from dried corn (maize) kernels...

Maybe, just maybe, different people have different taste buds.
I'm not sure how much 'taste' might be culturally shaped. I mean, for example, I adore eggs. Especially soft runny yolks. I'm pretty sure this is connected with my childhood as I had two chickens as pets and we ate their eggs nearly every day. And then there are the huge cultural differences between Eastern and Western 'tastes' in food. Or even between different 'classes' in the UK.

There are some possible proven genetic issues concerning taste. One example is fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves. To some people it tastes disgusting (like soap). It has been shown that these people may a genetic difference in DNA.

A few years ago the largest genetic testing company 23andMe surveyed 50,000 of their customers asking whether they liked the taste of coriander or found it to be soapy.

The results when comparing the DNA of the coriander haters to that of coriander lovers found "a SNP (or genetic variation) called rs72921001 to be associated with the trait in a subset of about 25,000 people with European ancestry. (About 13 percent of 23andMe customers with European ancestry answered that cilantro tastes soapy, and 26 percent dislike it.)"

"Cilantro’s aromatic qualities primarily depend on a group of compounds known as aldehydes," states the report. "One type of aldehyde has been described as being 'fruity' and 'green' and another type as being 'soapy' and 'pungent'. One of the eight genes near the SNP we identified codes for a receptor called OR6A2, which is known to detect aldehydes such as those found in cilantro."

However, another study found that it might be down because other factors, such as your ethnographics and that it may be culturally determined.. It concluded:

In summary, we report that cilantro dislike varies from 3% to 21% in this population of young adults depending on the ethnocultural group. The contribution of individual genetic differences to this trait remains to be determined.
http://www.sbs.com.au/topics/scienc...d-coriander-could-have-scientific-explanation

Now I' m confused. I wrote corn or maize because I thought corn and maize were the same thing. :scratchhead:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maize

I thought hominy was made from dried corn (maize) kernels...
Sort of. If using dried corn, you have to soak it first to rehydrate it.
http://www.howtomakehominyfromcorn.com/hominy-made-using-lye.html

Now corn does need to be dried to turn corn into masa harina or US corn flour. What you call corn flour we call corn starch.

Now funny story on hominy. My dad was working on a roof air conditioner at a restaurant. They had an open hominy kettle out back. Dad slipped and fell into the hominy. No clue what the restaurant did with that batch of hominy.
No he wasn't hurt but mom said it took 2 days to get the smell off of him.

I like all vegetables really. If I had to choose the least liked it would be spinach. I can eat it in salad but I'm not very keen on cooked spinach. It always is a bit slimy I think.

I like all vegetables really. If I had to choose the least liked it would be spinach. I can eat it in salad but I'm not very keen on cooked spinach. It always is a bit slimy I think.
Spinach is one of those ingredients that is too easily spoilt by over cooking or sitting too long before serving.

I love summer squash either fried in cornmeal or steamed with butter.

Spinach is one of those ingredients that is too easily spoilt by over cooking or sitting too long before serving.
It might be that I've eaten it over cooked or something. I did have a Greek dish with filo pastry and spinach once which I liked. I can't remember what its called.

Spaghetti squash. I've had it once and it did nothing for me at all. mind you neither do mushy peas, but I think that had more to do with school and mushy peas than mushy peas because I don't think I have ever had mushy peas since. spaghetti squash on the other hand I have grown fresh and not liked.

Otherwise I never used to be a fan of aubergine or fennel but that was down to childhood and how it was made or presented. now I love both.

Spaghetti squash. I've had it once and it did nothing for me at all. mind you neither do mushy peas, but I think that had more to do with school and mushy peas than mushy peas because I don't think I have ever had mushy peas since. spaghetti squash on the other hand I have grown fresh and not liked.

Otherwise I never used to be a fan of aubergine or fennel but that was down to childhood and how it was made or presented. now I love both.
I don't like squash in general. It seems to be either too sweet or rather bland. Mushy peas - you should make your own if you can get dried peas. Add a generous grating of fresh nutmeg. I think you will be converted. They are quite similar to a dhal, after all.

I don't like cabbage. too many memories of overcooked, smelly cabbage served on a Sunday. white watery stuff that was too salty, it tasted horrible and the dining room would smell of it for days.

Back
Top Bottom