What Pre-Processed Foods Do You Use/Like?

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
10:45 PM
We all pride ourselves in our ability to cook from scratch, but I'm interested to know those things that you like to use that aren't from scratch, but bought at the shops. Not exactly cheats, but I hope you get the idea.

By pre-processed, I'm talking about that stuff all the health experts tell us to avoid, like boxed dehydrated potato dinners, powdered mixes, even canned soups and jarred sauces & gravies, if you like, and I'm thinking more along the lines of things you use in your cooking or as an accompaniment, so not a box of cookies that you just have as a treat.

For myself, I frequently use puff pastry from the frozen section, and pie dough from the refrigerated section. Also, I keep a little box of Bisto on hand, both to use as a gravy mix and to use as a homemade gravy addition, in the event mine is too thin. I've even served jarred gravy punched up with a little wine and fresh herbs. I've never explicitly passed it off as my own, but I've never offered the information, either. 😏

Similar, I do use some powdered stocks/broths, but I use them as much as a salt substitute as I do to make broth. I'll very rarely buy pizza sauce, but it does happen.

A bit of a general question, I know, but how about everyone else? Any Shake-N-Bake in you cupboards?

Very little stuff like that. But yeah, I do have Bisto gravy mix and I do have instant mashed potatoes (which are good for thickening sauces). Puff pastry I do use pre-made sometimes but home-made tastes so much better. Of course I use tinned tomatoes but they are not exactly messed about with.

Thinking harder - I use various ingredients in vegan cooking which could be described as pre-processed: nutritional yeast, miso paste etc.

I don't use pre-made sauces at all. I'll sometimes eat canned soup on its own as a comfort food but I don't use it in creating other dishes.

I most definitely do use pre-made stocks. You can get very good quality stock in supermarkets here with no additives and as I rarely eat meat and there are only two of us, I'm not likely to be making beef stock from scratch. Chicken stock and seafood stock I will normally make from scratch.

I use bisto gravy mix too, lol. The onion one, for thickening sauces just like you Morning Glory . I also have Heinz ketchup, Calvé (Dutch classic brand) mayo and Siracha sauce in my cupboard as staples. And pre-made sambal, just because I can get good quality here due to the large Indo population.

I also eat Indomie mie goreng noodles frequently as a lunch snack, it's just something I grew up with and has cult status among Dutch Indonesians. Same goes for pre made bapao or gyoza. Basically that's it though, I'm not a big fan of premade products.

I used to use more processed ingredients than I do now, but most of them have way more sodium than I am allowed.

I still use premade doughs, like pizza dough, biscuit dough, and definitely puff pastry. I also use premade stocks, although sparingly, as they are high in sodium.

I used to love Wolf Brand chili (no beans) on a baked potato, with grated cheddar cheese. Now, it is a rare treat, thanks to the sodium. That was such an easy and satisfying meal.

CD

I used to use more processed ingredients than I do now, but most of them have way more sodium than I am allowed.

I still use premade doughs, like pizza dough, biscuit dough, and definitely puff pastry. I also use premade stocks, although sparingly, as they are high in sodium.

I used to love Wolf Brand chili (no beans) on a baked potato, with grated cheddar cheese. Now, it is a rare treat, thanks to the sodium. That was such an easy and satisfying meal.

CD

Oh yeah I forgot that, I do use premade puff pastry and pizza dough.

Hmmm, what do I have in the pantry / fridge?
Gravy mix
Beef stock (I make my own chicken & veg)
Filo pastry
Tomato paste
Whole-egg mayo
Some random spice/paste packets I've been gifted which are probably out of date
Tinned & packet soups but for eating not cooking
I thought I'd have more actually

Looks like hardly anybody makes their own puff pastry. Rough puff is super easy to make. I find it easier than short-crust as there is no 'rubbing in' of the fat. I learned how to make it when I was a lot younger - in the days when you couldn't buy ready made.

Looks like hardly anybody makes their own puff pastry. Rough puff is super easy to make. I find it easier than short-crust as there is no 'rubbing in' of the fat. I learned how to make it when I was a lot younger - in the days when you couldn't buy ready made.
I'll have to find it later, but one of the things I like about Chris Kimball (ATK founder) is that he's extremely opinionated, and many times, contrary to my own, which I find entertaining.

His puff pastry rant is along the lines of, "Just don't. Traditional puff pastry is too hard. Supermarket puff pastry is too bland. Quick puff pastry <what you call rough puff> isn't even close to being the same thing, so stop trying and just get you puff pastry treats from a proper bakery."

We use pre-made puff pastry and phyllo. We also use a seasoning mix for beef stew, but when the grocery was out we made our own version. I used to use Lipton onion soup mix for Salisbury steaks and onion dip, but Karen doesn't like it. That is pretty much the extent of our pre-processed food that we use in our cooking.

Quick puff pastry <what you call rough puff> isn't even close to being the same thing,

It may or may not be the same. The method I use is cubes of butter. I made some recently...

I use more than I thought!

Sauces: tiptree ketchup, heinz mayo, aldi peri peri. Sometimes chinese chilli oil and tom yum paste, dried bread sauce mix, stuffing mix. (I make my own mustards, chutneys, pickles and salad dressings. I sometimes make my own chinese chilli oil, breadsauce and stuffing too).

Stock jelly/cubes.

And because I have to prepare gluten and dairy free food:
Some dairy items are pretty frightening if you read the ingredients. Including yoghurt, cheese, cream cheese, spread, etc
Gluten free bread, crackers and pastry. (Cakes are easy to make gluten/dairy free.)

I'm sure I'll think of more.

Thinking about this more - it depends what you are including as pre-processed. I use dried and fresh pasta so I think that must count. I do make my own sometimes.

Pasta
Mustard (various)
Annatto paste
Tinned tomatoes
Tinned beans
Tinned artichoke bottoms
Tinned hearts of palm
Pataks pickles (various) - these are Indian pickles
Cajun spice
Tinned fish: tuna, sardines, mackerel, anchovies
Cheese although I sometimes make it
Butter - maybe this doesn't count but it is pre-made
Gochujang paste

The more I think about it the more products I have which have been pre-processed. Where do we draw the line? I know uou said:

By pre-processed, I'm talking about that stuff all the health experts tell us to avoid, like boxed dehydrated potato dinners, powdered mixes, even canned soups and jarred sauces & gravies, if you like, and I'm thinking more along the lines of things you use in your cooking or as an accompaniment,

But then pre-made pastry was included - and that isn't generally something health experts tell us to avoid.

Sorry - I'm probably going off piste - most of the things I listed above are free of additives - so maybe that is what you meant?

Back
Top Bottom