What snack foods do you make homemade? Why?

primalclaws1974

Veteran
Local time
3:21 PM
I make my own granola. I originally decided to do it for health reasons, as often when you buy granola in stores, it's not as healthy as you would think. My general idea for the recipe came from an oatmeal and walnut cookie recipe, but over the years I have adapted it a lot. If I can get the batch dry enough (which isn't always the case), I will eat it as a cereal, as well. What do you make homemade?

I like to make my own granola too for the simple fact I don't like raisins. Raisins are a main component of most store bought trail mix and I like to substitute with dried apple or banana chips.

I usually make plantain chips at home for the kids, i'll either use green or ripe plantains depending on what they're in the mood for...this is a chips that they like a lot but i realized that the ones that i purchased in the stores are very salty, so when i make it for them at home i just sprinkle a dash of salt over it and it's tasty nevertheless.

I usually make plantain chips at home for the kids, i'll either use green or ripe plantains depending on what they're in the mood for...this is a chips that they like a lot but i realized that the ones that i purchased in the stores are very salty, so when i make it for them at home i just sprinkle a dash of salt over it and it's tasty nevertheless.

I like trail mix with banana chips, but they always cook them in oil. I used a dehydrator to make my own fruit chips. It took three days to completely dry out bananas, apples, and especially pears. Pears are especially sweet when dried out. I don't know why that is, because when they are firm, they are not sweet. It is only when they turn yellow and then brown (and are very mushy) that they are sweet.

I make my own granola. I originally decided to do it for health reasons, as often when you buy granola in stores, it's not as healthy as you would think. My general idea for the recipe came from an oatmeal and walnut cookie recipe, but over the years I have adapted it a lot. If I can get the batch dry enough (which isn't always the case), I will eat it as a cereal, as well. What do you make homemade?
I make my own crackers made with flax seeds, all raw in the dehydrator, I save money, it's healthy and I can't always find them in the local stores.

Plantain chips, sweet potato chips and roasted calabasa seeds. Sometimes I will max trail mix using cranberry's, sunflower seeds, pepitas, raisins and cashews when I think I probably wont use them up as a salad topping or in case of the cashews , in a raw dessert. I have a habit of purchasing larger amounts than needed or larger than can be used in a timely manor. I guess because my favorite store to buy organic products from is not all that close by I tend to over stock on the items that I can not easily find in the natural food and organic sections of the local supermarkets.

I like that both your answers are about healthy food. That is the main reason I make anything homemade. I can usually make something that tastes as good (or almost as good) as the product that is pre-made, and I can usually do it with little or even no fat in some cases. If I cannot exactly duplicate the taste, I will sometimes substitute something for it. Granola in the stores binds the mixture with oil. I don't use oil or fat in it it at all. As a matter of fact, I only use egg whites to bind. This makes the mix drier, and in the end, makes the granola more like it should be.

I make my own pasta salad because it's cheaper and I get to put in my favorite vegetables and mix in mayonnaise with salad dressing or pesto instead. I usually find shop bought ones contain cheaper peppers and tomatoes which I don't like and are too oily. The great thing is I can heat it up and make it into a warm pasta dish instead as well.

I like to make my own Jello for snacks. It's so easy, and so much fun. I make it in a muffin tin and then scoop out and individual size into a little cup, then just keep the rest covered in saran wrap in the fridge.

Back
Top Bottom