What stuffing do you put inside your bird?

Which do you prefer to cook on thanksgiving?

• goose

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • chicken

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Bakemehappy

Veteran
Local time
8:46 PM
I am looking for a simple to pull off stuffing for my bird. I have not decided yet which bird it is so if you have time take the poll below. Think of a person who does not have much time and budget to prepare. Ingredients should be readily available as this is my first time.

This may not really be for Thanksgiving because we don't observe that holiday here. But our stuffed chicken is one dish that we are proud of. Here are the ingredients: 1/4 kilo of pork belly, 50 grams of fried peanuts, 50 grams of roasted cashew, 4 pieces green tomatoes, a thumb of ginger, black pepper (or red pepper is you prefer hot). The pork is sliced in strips so it will cook in time with the roasting of the chicken. The tomatoes are sliced and the ginger is crushed. Put in all the ingredients inside the chicken and grill or roast.

We use the box mix, when I was younger we made the stuffing from scratch. The mix taste as good as anything I can make.

I am just making a traditional bread stuffing. I love the way it smells in the house with all the spices, celery and butter

I am just making a traditional bread stuffing. I love the way it smells in the house with all the spices, celery and butter
The traditional stuffing is always the best. I make my own but it is no where near as tasty as my Dad's use to be. He took pride in making the stuffing every year. It was perfection at its best. I still remember watching him as he added the ingredients. I never learned how he did it. I always figured I would have another time but he die suddenly and I regret that I never took the time to learn his secret. Mom made it after he passed and it was good but not like Dad's was.

I make a traditional stuffing using bread, sausage, onions, celery, cranberries, green apples, and poultry seasoning. It's a fantastic stuffing but I cook it on the side and do not stuff my turkey. Everyone likes it dry and not wet, so I find that if I cook it separately it stays dry and not too moist. My turkey also cooks quicker.

My mom made this stuffing for years and Now I do too. it's pretty straight forward and really good. remove giblets from bird. place in large saucepan add about 3 to 4 cups of water to pan bring to boil and let cook until giblets are done. you can use or toss giblets, but the water is what you use for the stuffing. (traditional sage bread stuffing.) and get a bag of the Seasoned bread cubes.

Ingredients
  • 1 package giblets, from turkey
  • 6-8 cups water
  • 2 tablespoons oil, olive or vegetable
  • 1 medium to large onion, diced
  • 1-2 ribs celery thinly sliced (optional)
  • 2 large teaspoons garlic, minced
  • 1 bag bread cubes (seasoned or not)
  • 1 cube/stick butter or margarine melted
  • 1-2 tablespoons garlic powder (to taste)
  • 3-6 tablespoons ground sage (to taste)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
How to make it
  • 1. In a medium saucepan over medium hit heat. Add giblets and enough water to cover them by at least 2 inches. (about 6-8 cups water). Bring to boil and simmer for about 30 to 45 minutes or until done.
  • 2. Meanwhile, in a medium to large sauté pan over medium high heat add the oil and onions and celery (if using). Sautee onion mixture for 3-5 minutes. Turn down and add garlic and simmer over medium low heat for about another 10 to 15 minutes or until the onion is translucent and the celery (if using) are soft.
  • 3. To Assemble: Pour bread cubes into large bowl. Add some of the sage and garlic powder. The onion mixture and half the butter and about 2 to 3 cups of the broth from the giblets. Stirring to incorporate the liquid and spices. Keep smelling to make sure it smells the way you want it to taste. Add spices to taste or smell. If stuffing the bird stop here and stuff the bird. If baking as a side dish, continue. Add the rest of the butter and enough water from giblets to make very moist. Put in pre greased casserole dish and bake until heated through.
  • Notes Bake at about 350 degrees.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never actually made homemade stuffing. It just always seemed easier and quicker to use boxed stuffing. But, when I use the box stuffing, I prefer cornbread stuffing the most. It goes well with chicken or turkey and it tastes delicious when it is stuffed inside the bird and absorbs the flavored juices while it is baking.

I never put stuffing in a bird - horrendous flashbacks from a meal I had once where the stuffed bird was not cooked properly because they had forgotten to allow extra cooking time. I also always cheat and buy a stuffing mix which is cooked separately. I always have stock in the freezer so I use that and the giblets to make gravy. I did make a lemon chicken once where the lemons were chopped and put inside the bird. That tasted delicious. But other than that I have never put anything inside a bird.

I mix melted butter a good fresh bread crumb-like brioche or focaccia ,thyme,chopped leeks and onions sausage meat and stuff it under the skin keeps the bird moist

I got stuffing from an England recipe, I use sage & onion and its very tasty!

Back
Top Bottom