What time do you like to eat dinner?

I eat dinner when I eat dinner because I'm in bed by the time you eat yours. But then, I do get up with the chickens. (Which is something I did not expect to do upon retirement!)

7 pm is as late as I'd want to start dinner. Otherwise I'd start feeling an urge for a snack, which would mean eating extra - more calories and junk. So I might as well make that snack go away and turn it into an actual meal.
We're in bed between 9:30PM-10PM, so there you go! :)
I can't go to bed on a full stomach and since I an always up at 6 am no matter what, I tend to go to bed at around 9-9:30pm.

Ok my bad back will have me up again during the night, but water is almost always all I will have then (pain meds being an exception).

So as with the others, I eat early because I'm in bed long before you eat and usually up before sunrise and my chickens, though they are challenging me on that one since the clocks went forward for spring! )

I've never understood why people eat dinner at 6 or 6.30pm. If I get hungry then I have a little snack.

I think the dinner time grew out of a regular cadence for eating: 6:00 pm for dinner doesn't make sense if you're not also eating breakfast at ~7:00 am and lunch at noon. This, I'd guess, came from a more physically active past, when people on farms and such needed sustenance to keep them going. Old habits die hard. I know that my stomach growls at times that don't always make sense.

I have very a irregular eating schedule. I eat when I get hungry. That could be 4PM, or it could be close to midnight.
I'm the same way. I sometimes have a small breakfast, but it's never because I'm hungry. It's always because I just feel like eating something. Food is a cause for joy for me (and probably for a lot of us), and I don't want my meals to just be volume I'm pushing down my throat because I'm hungry. I want to enjoy it.

I always have lunch during the work week, but it could be anywhere from 11:00 am to 1:30 pm or so, depending on how busy I am.

I never have a proper dinner during the work week. Never. I come home, and I'm not hungry. I take the dogs out for a walk, and I'm still not hungry. I usually end up making something to eat late (and those recipes often end up on this forum).

On the weekends, I have a big meal (usually eating out) at around 3:00 pm, and no other meals. I will eat later in the day, though.

There is a thing in weight loss programs that I like to call "keeping your body guessing". If you eat the same way every day, then your body gets used to metabolizing at those times. If you vary how and when and how much you eat, then your body can't get into any sort of pattern. It's more likely that food gets metabolized when you vary your eating times and amounts.

This sounds insane, but many nutritionists agree with this sort of thing (though some advocate big breakfasts and small dinners). But, in my case, this is a happy accident that helped things along with healthier eating habits. I can't claim I planned it this way, but it's been working.

Apart from the cases that include work commitments with relative returns home late or early in the evening, or gym, running, swimming, dinner invitations, various aperitifs, etc., I normally have dinner around 8pm, never before 7pm ... a little bit because I'm still not hungry, a bit for a habit now rooted. In the North once they had dinner at 7pm or maybe even earlier, a matter of climate. Now things have obviously changed.
When I'm in Rome for me it becomes a little more complicated because there is the habit of having dinner around 9 or 9.30 pm .... to wait until that time I have already had two appetizers and one of these includes having crunched a table ...

Last edited:
Today I got up at 6:45. I had breakfast at 7:45, a little later after my usual awakening than usual. I'll be going to the Community Center for lunch today - which is at 12:30. Dinner will likely be at or around 6:30 today. I'll likely be abed by 8:30. Some days, this varies. I'd really prefer not to eat and then immediately sleep. (Mind you, I don't sleep straight through. My bladder sees that I do not, and it takes a good 30-45 minutes to return to sleep. Alas, these days, there are some nights I barely sleep at all. Moving the Go To Sleep Time back does not help this, or hinder, either. But I'm tired then, and want to be abed.)

I like to eat dinner early. I have a med. that I take after breakfast and after dinner. Also, most of the time we do have a nice delicious dinner that DH cooks and I like plenty of time for it to digest before bed time. They say beef takes 3 hours to digest, don't know about the other foods.

I have dinner any time between 10 pm and 12.30 a.m. I got used to eating late when I had the model shop because we would often do fairs and shows evenings and weekends and sometimes wouldn't get home until midnight or even later. My now-ex was a bus driver, which meant he could start work at 3.30 a.m. some days and finish at 2.30 a.m. on others so mealtimes were always pretty erratic. Now I'm retired I eat when I like, although I always have lunch sometime round about 1 p.m. as I have some medication that must be taken at the same time every day. Saturdays are worse - I take one medication once a week and it must be taken first thing in the morning at least half an hour before your first food or drink of the day. I take it and set the timer - that half hour wait is torture.

Saturdays are worse - I take one medication once a week and it must be taken first thing in the morning at least half an hour before your first food or drink of the day. I take it and set the timer - that half hour wait is torture.
If that's the one I think it is, I refused to talk it. I already have oseaphagile and trachea damage and wasn't overly impressed with the list of side effects of it . I have the IV infusion once a year instead. I've literally just had it 2 days ago. Last year the side effects were horrible, this time around it hasn't been anywhere near as bad thankfully.

For breakfast I sometimes eat toast, or pikelets, or some fruit.

My dinner is generally between 15:00 and 17:00. I like it to settle before I go to bed which is early. If not, I suffer from what I call "Leadbelly".

It's 5.10 a.m. and I'm going to have my breakfast muesli. Then I might actually get to bed once I've finished watching the MotoGP free practice session, that is!

I like to eat dinner early. I have a med. that I take after breakfast and after dinner. Also, most of the time we do have a nice delicious dinner that DH cooks and I like plenty of time for it to digest before bed time. They say beef takes 3 hours to digest, don't know about the other foods.

My grandparents (father's side) retired to South Florida, home of the "Earlybird Special." When I visited, they would take me out to dinner one evening, usually at Red Lobster, and we would have to be there for the Earlybird Specials.

They had a very rigid meal schedule. My parents do, too.

CD

It probably is - I have to take Lansoprazole or stronger to counteract the side effects.
Yep, given I'm already on omeprazole routinely, usually only daily but sometimes twice daily, i just point blank refused when there are several other treatments available in Australia. (They have me the look that said 'xyz acid' is from the dark ages, there see much better treatments available). They settled on the yearly IV infusion as being the best option for me because at the time we were still returning to the UK and it is the only other option available on the NHS (The NHS just don't like telling you that there is an alternative! )

Back
Top Bottom