What tinned foods do you use regularly?

Elawin

Guru
Local time
4:58 PM
This popped up on the BBC news site today:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/ar...nroe-why-we-should-cook-more-with-tinned-food

It reminded me of a time when I lived in a bed-sit in a then not-so-nice area of London. There was only one light bulb and only one plug socket in the place, so no place for a fridge, and the gas cooker was outside on a covered balcony! Because I worked full-time, I had no choice but to eat tinned foods except for Saturday and Sunday when I could go to the market.

Luckily times have changed, but there are several tinned foods which I still use.

Pulses / beans / chickpeas - mainly because I don't decide what to eat until the day, so I rarely have a chance to soak dried ones.
Tomatoes - of course - I usually get through 2 cans a week
Baked beans
Peaches for when I don't have any fresh fruit for dessert.
I also have some tinned fish - for the cats and the dog.

My local supermarket (Kroger) has reduced-priced items on a regular basis. They often have beans, tomatoes, corn, and peppers for half price (and they're pretty cheap to start). I grab these whenever I see them. Then, whenever I want to make chili, I have almost everything I need on-hand. And, canned goods last for years, so there's little danger of them going bad before I can use them. While fresh peppers and corn are essential for some things, I don't notice much of a difference when it comes to chili.

Canned tomatoes are perfect for making sauces, too...actually, better than raw tomatoes (which have to be stewed first, and sometimes aren't as ripe as I'd prefer).

My local supermarket (Kroger) has reduced-priced items on a regular basis. They often have beans, tomatoes, corn, and peppers for half price (and they're pretty cheap to start). I grab these whenever I see them. Then, whenever I want to make chili, I have almost everything I need on-hand. And, canned goods last for years, so there's little danger of them going bad before I can use them. While fresh peppers and corn are essential for some things, I don't notice much of a difference when it comes to chili.

Canned tomatoes are perfect for making sauces, too...actually, better than raw tomatoes (which have to be stewed first, and sometimes aren't as ripe as I'd prefer).

I've had an idea about tinned food percolating for a while now for a new Prize Challenge (we haven't had one for a while). This thread (thank you @Elawin) and your post @The Late Night Gourmet have decided me it might work. I'll launch it over the weekend or early next week. :D :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Only selected foods I buy in the can. Such as certain veggies & fruits, plus baked beans & such. :wink:

Not opposed to can foods: smoked oysters, tomatoes, mandarin oranges, tuna and ....hold on..... sometimes condensed soups to use an easy base for a gravy

image.jpg

Not only do we freeze tomatoes for sauces etc, but we keep
Tinned tomatoes, these come up occasionally 3 tins for $1 or 2 . Wife buys like 20 for the pantry. I use them in my curries.
Tinned sweet creamed corn for my corn fritters
Tin tomato sauce, watties brand, I make Tom sauce but I only like bought sauce, go figure,lol
Tin baked beans
Tin spaghetti
Tin salmon
Tin herrings in tomato sauce, my midnite snacks.
Tin condensed milk
Tin Tom soup

Russ

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 28562

Not only do we freeze tomatoes for sauces etc, but we keep
Tinned tomatoes, these come up occasionally 3 tins for $1 or 2 . Wife buys like 20 for the pantry. I use them in my curries.
Tinned sweet creamed corn for my corn fritters
Tin tomato sauce, watties brand, I make Tom sauce but I only like bought sauce, go figure,lol
Tin baked beans
Tin spaghetti
Tin salmon
Tin herrings in tomato sauce, my midnite snacks.
Tin condensed milk
Tin Tom soup

Russ

Your going to be well set up for the forthcoming new Prize Challenge!

The canned/tinned food I buy is mostly --

Soup. I browse round a supermarket or discount store looking for reduced prices and buy a load of cans at a time
Baked beans, but the better brands. I've tried cheap ones, see later
Tinned chopped tomatoes, for stews etc.
Some tinned fish. I don't like tinned salmon or tuna, but I get mackerel, sild, & sardines; in brine or oil as I don't like the tomato sauce
Various beans & pulses; chick peas, kidney beans, borlotti beans etc for salads or stews. I've tried soaking & cooking dried beans but without much success and the canned versions are cheap enough

I have accumulated a few cans of beans; cheap ones - taste awful; no added sugar - taste awful, so I'n slowly using them up in stews where I can add other flavours, and I won't get them again
The better brands aren't that expensive, and as for sugar, well, you don't have to live off them for every meal

Various beans & pulses; chick peas, kidney beans, borlotti beans etc for salads or stews. I've tried soaking & cooking dried beans but without much success and the canned versions are cheap enough

Yes - I use lots of canned beans and chickpeas too.

Back
Top Bottom