What to do if you add to much chilli to a curry

epicuric

Legendary Member
Local time
1:08 AM
[Mod.Edit: Post moved to form new topic]

Hot butter chicken with hot and sour potatoes and some green oak grass.

Yorky do you every overdo the chilli heat then have to correct it? If so, how do find the best way to do it? Asking because I made two curries inedible yesterday after overdoing the birds-eye chilli content.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yorky do you every overdo the chilli heat then have to correct it? If so, how do find the best way to do it? Asking because I made two curries inedible yesterday after overdoing the birds-eye chilli content.

Oh dear. I never use bird's eye (prik kee noo here) in curries or chillis. Tom yam yes, but they go in there whole so can be easily removed.

My only answer is that I don't know how to correct an overdose of chillis. More yoghurt perhaps? Or more tomatoes. I guess that it would just need to be diluted but then you are losing the essence of the dish.

Keeping toilet rolls in the freezer may be a remedy.

There isn't that much that you can do. Yoghurt added will calm it down. Ground almonds added will also do that. Also red lentils. The latter is a good way to go because they will thicken the curry sauce and you can then thin it out again with water to the desired consistency. Red lentils cook really quickly too. They will change the flavour profile of the curry but at least it will be edible!

[Mod.Edit: Post moved to form new topic]

Yuss mate, 8 pints of Wrexham larger as an aperitif !

I second Morning Glory. The times when I accidentally overdid the spicy on the curry I had no option but eat it as it is, water or yogurt are supposed to tone it down if added during cooking but somehow that didn’t work. I suggest you serve it with liquid yogurt to drink it helps toning it down while you eat it.

What kind of curries are they epicuric?
One was aubergine, the other mutton. I almost calmed the aubergine one with a whole tub of Greek yoghurt, but the mutton curry was not supposed to be creamy. Both have gone in the freezer until a solution can be found! Does the chilli heat deplete with cooking, as in if i left it to simmer in the slow cooker all day?

One was aubergine, the other mutton. I almost calmed the aubergine one with a whole tub of Greek yoghurt, but the mutton curry was not supposed to be creamy. Both have gone in the freezer until a solution can be found! Does the chilli heat deplete with cooking, as in if i left it to simmer in the slow cooker all day?

My post about this didn't get moved to the new thread.

"I've heard of some remedies, from adding sugar to adding peanut butter. The only way I know of that works, for sure, and doesn't change the flavor of the dish, is to dilute it by adding more of everything in the recipe, except the chilis."

If you have them frozen, make new batches with no chilis, and blend the two batches together, diluting the heat. I've done it with chili, and it worked -- and you will have twice as much curry. You can freeze some for another time.

CD

Does the chilli heat deplete with cooking, as in if i left it to simmer in the slow cooker all day?

No it doesn't. The lentils trick should work with mutton. Or you could try cooking some old potatoes in the curry sauce. This will slightly thicken the sauce which you can then dilute.

Alternatively, you can post the mutton curry to me. I'm serious. No curry is too hot for me. I recently discovered Hermes do a door to door courier service for £2.50. Great for UK swaps. They do send abroad but the price gets quite high.

"I've heard of some remedies, from adding sugar to adding peanut butter. The only way I know of that works, for sure, and doesn't change the flavor of the dish, is to dilute it by adding more of everything in the recipe, except the chilis."

If you have them frozen, make new batches with no chilis, and blend the two batches together, diluting the heat. I've done it with chili, and it worked -- and you will have twice as much curry. You can freeze some for another time.

CD
Good plan, thank you CD!

CD
I like the idea of twice as much, I'll remember this

Back
Top Bottom