What type of skewer do you use and why?

Bakemehappy

Veteran
Local time
2:41 AM
I bought a few metal skewers and I intend to use them for outdoor barbeque. It was fairly new to me and I was thinking that metal skewers are easy to use and could be re-use compared with the wooden or bamboo skewers. What do you use in your case and why did you choose it?

Either. If you use wooden you need to soak them first. I tend to find metal works well in most cases and as you say, you can re-use them.

I always use metal skewers. They are easier to use and to clean. Much more hygenic than wooden ones.

I guess the wooden or bamboo skewers are mostly about presentation you know to give the food an authentic look to it or perhaps an interesting character to it. Do I need to worry about metal reacting with the heat and the meat and might cause some health problems? Am I overthinking?

I usually use metal ones, but my metal ones got bent and rusty as I hadn't used them for a year or two. I got some wooden ones the other week, so I'll see how things go with them :) They certainly have a nice rustic look with the wooden ones, but unfortuantely theyre not reusuable. If I don't like them at least I can use them for toffee apples! :D

I had metel skewers I got in Ethiopia over 30 yrs ago. I liked them because they were reusuable and just as good to use after all those years as they were when brand new. I gave some of them to one of my daughters a number of years ago and she loves them as much as I did. I had 4 dozen of them so I was able to give some to each of my children and all of them have enjoyed having them, plus they had some history to them.

We use the metal ones just because they are more convenient.
They clean up easily and can be reused.

I use the wooden skewers but I was thinking of getting the metal ones. They seem to hold more and would be save money in the long run.

I am trying to remember if I have metal skewers but I know I have tons of wooden ones and don't use them a lot. The last time I used them I had guest and I was not sure if my made up recipe was the hit I intended it to be. I am glad this came up.

I use wooden skewers but I think I'd like to try the metal ones. It would just save time not having to soak the skewers before using them. I've had times where I've had to run out and get skewers just before I BBQ'd because I'd run out. At least with metal skewers you wouldn't have to worry about that. I guess you would be limited as to how much you made by the number of metal skewers you had. I'm hoping to pick some up on sale now that it's nearing the end of the BBQ'ing season.

Only TODAY I went in a drawer and saw tons of wooden ones. It's like I own a restaurant or something. I suspect some are so old, they will break when I touch them. I still can't say if I have metal ones. I have not stumbled on them yet but if I do, I will post them.

This reminds me of our new grill set that we can now use for barbecue in the oven griller. We used to barbecue on charcoal but since it is rainy season so that is not a good idea. With the grill set, it is a tray made of aluminum with a screen on top where we can place the barbecue. The dripping oil would be caught by the tray so it's not a problem anymore. By the way, there is no more need for skewer but the output is just the same good old pork barbecue.

My wife always uses wooden skewers and buys the disposable ones in packs of 200. Recently I obtained some stainless steel ones to facilitate baking potatoes but she never thinks to use those.

jacket on skewer.jpg

Back
Top Bottom