What vegetable do you use more than any other?

Local time
1:25 PM
With most of the meals I cook, I always do vegetables on the side. There are some vegetables that I tend to cook on a regular basis, although I would sometimes buy different ones from time to time for a change. A vegetable that I always have on hand is carrot. I find that I use this vegetable more than any other. When I go shopping for vegetables, the first thing I would consider buying are carrots. Carrots are versatile too. I can steam them or grate them. They also go very well in salads. However, I usually steam them most of the time.

So, what would you say is your favourite vegetable or the one you always buy when you go shopping for vegetables?

My favorite vegetables and the ones that I always have on is onions and mushrooms. Most everything I cook has onions and mushrooms in it. I buy different variety of onions depending what I am putting them in whether it is a salad or a meal that I am preparing. I stock up on all kinds of vegetables though like a variety of peppers, lettuce, spinach and carrots.

If we can use the definition of vegetable broadly, then garlic is yer man. I put garlic into just about anything and everything (I've even posted a garlic ice cream recipe here, though that might be pushing the boundaries a little).

Cabbage, potatoes and corn are probably the most common...but yes, garlic too if we're including that. I can almost always guarantee with our grocery shop that we will get a head of cabbage, some sweet potatoes, and corn. Our little one loves corn, one of her favorite veggies...so we always have it on hand.

I always had cucumber, carrot, bell pepper, onion leeks, garlic, onion and ginger at hand in my kitchen because I am using this kind of vegetables everyday in many ways in my cooking and all of these are very useful to me in cooking a healthy and delicious meals.

I use onions almost every day, they are great in so many dishes. I also love tomatoes, courgette and pumpkin. I love pumpkin roasted with potatoes and rosemary or a nice pumpkin soup. I also have carrots in the fridge most of the time and I make broccoli regularly, usually boiled or steamed. Another thing that I love is cauliflower, I eat them with a cheese sauce, it is not so healthy but very yummy :)

Well, when I started this thread, I was not thinking of vegetables in the broader sense. I was actually referring to those vegetables that we use as a side dish with our lunch or dinner, like carrots, broccoli, beans, cauliflower, cabbage, etc. But, if I am going to include all of the other vegetables like onions, garlic, potatoes, etc., I would have to say that onions would top the list for me since I use it in almost everything that I cook. I never like to be without onions.

Onions and garlic definitely. As an accompaniment ,probably peas, as I always have a bag in the freezer

Being a vegetarian, I don't tend to have side dishes. Most of my food involves vegetables mixed together and I tend to vary things quite a bit. Cauliflower is a handy vegetable, though. The meals I cook often involve cauliflower.

I must have onions in my kitchen at all times. I am not sure if that fits the original post. Other things I like to have once we expand things are lettuce, tomatoes, potatoes, garlic, thyme and much more. Cabbage is a weekly must at my house and the ingredient for The CookingBites Recipe Challenge which I want to remind everyone to check out. My canvassing continues.

Last edited:
Well, when I started this thread, I was not thinking of vegetables in the broader sense. I was actually referring to those vegetables that we use as a side dish with our lunch or dinner, like carrots, broccoli, beans, cauliflower, cabbage, etc. But, if I am going to include all of the other vegetables like onions, garlic, potatoes, etc., I would have to say that onions would top the list for me since I use it in almost everything that I cook. I never like to be without onions.

In that case it would have to be broccoli and brussel sprouts. They are my favorite vegetables for sides with my meals.

I always have carrots and peas on hand. Onion as well but I'll add those to the meat I'm cooking (i.e. ground beef) so those aren't really a side. Corn is one as well, although not as often as peas. My husband and son aren't fans of vegetables, go figure so when I know they like and will actually eat them, that's what we'll have. There are times I add broccoli and cauliflower to the mix but those aren't received as well. At one point we actually ate brussel sprouts quite a bit but I think we ate so many of them we got bored. I find it very funny that they ate the brussel sprouts but they don't want to go near broccoli.

I always have spinach and romaine lettuce on hand, as well as bean sprouts, onion, bok choy and broccoli. I usually keep a pack of frozen peas, carrots and corn just in case if I run out of my favorites in the refrigerator. Since I use a bunch of veggies daily, in just about every meal, it's hard for me to single out just one vegetable. I can tell you what I don't use a lot of instead! Beets. Out of every vegetable I eat, I just can't touch beets. Or bamboo shoots.

Onions, I feel like I spend half my free time peeling the buggers, organic ones will not be peeled, curse them.

onions, potato, carrots, lettuce, tomatoes, mushrooms, green onions, garlic, ginger, cucumber, zucchini, and a few others. Loads of Veggies here!

Back
Top Bottom