What was it like for you growing up at home?

I was embarrassed and subsequently humiliated and ridiculed by having to take free school dinners. To the extent that I persuaded my mum to give me a pack lunch. So started my long relationship with tomato sandwiches.
Jam sandwiches in my case. In the end we used to pool our sandwiches and pick what we wanted to eat. That way no food was wasted. The teachers used to call the classroom where we went for lunch "the buffet".

Ain't life funny, growing up with nothing and seeing other kids my age with all the gear we couldn't afford. I remember playing cricket for the school with pads with no buckles to tie on our legs, just tape and string. Then a rich kid goes up to bat with all brand new gear, gloves , pads, brand new own bat. Bowled first ball. I laughed to myself. His parents bought him a brand new mini for his 15th birthday. I ran Into him about 10 years ago working in a factory. Never married, pretty much a loser. Another family I hung around with, when I stayed there we got a cooked brekky. I'd never had a cooked brekky ever. They had everything. My friend is a druggy living in squalor. His brother ended up a paedo. Another friend just got married 10 years ago for the first time and starting a family. Works piece meal on low wages. The kids with the least, appeared to have made the best of life.

Russ

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNqJyrRyss8&t=114s

CD :laugh:

Here is one I'm sure a lot of you in my age range experienced. We had to eat everything on our plate, no mater if we were hungry or full, because "There are starving children in China." I never got how me cleaning my plate in any way benefited starving children in China.

CD

Here is one I'm sure a lot of you in my age range experienced. We had to eat everything on our plate, no mater if we were hungry or full, because "There are starving children in China." I never got how me cleaning my plate in any way benefited starving children in China.

CD
We usually got the "A lot of kids would be happy to have that" argument. My folks were pretty good about not force-feeding us, but they would draw the line at making anything apart from the meal if one of us didn't like it. By the time I was 10 or so, Mom was really struggling with her weight, and she blamed being force-fed as a child for that. :)

What Mom made was what we ate, or we didn't eat. Another one of her lines was:

"Hey, Mom, what're we having for supper?"

"Food!"

I was embarrassed and subsequently humiliated and ridiculed by having to take free school dinners. To the extent that I persuaded my mum to give me a pack lunch. So started my long relationship with tomato sandwiches.

Our son for about 8 years only ever ate tomato sauce sammiches. Wife even took him to a doctor about it.

Russ

I had free school meals too but my Mum taught me to be proud of it. It meant my Dad was working class and worked hard for not a lot of money.

I had free school meals too but my Mum taught me to be proud of it. It meant my Dad was working class and worked hard for not a lot of money.

My dad died when I was 11. The cancer got him at 43.

Back
Top Bottom